I hate Toyota Hose Clamps!!!

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I either don't have the right tools, right technique, or am just an idiot!! But I have such a hard time with those damn pinch clamps!! ARGHH!!!! I was working on my Supra thats been sitting for a long time and just finished changing the injector seals and decided to change out the radiator hoses before I start it again. Well getting them off wasn't so bad but I could not for the life of me get the lower radiator hose clamp onto the block! I tried everything. Wasted a couple hours of my life. I finally gave up and oing to buy some worm clamps tomorrow.

I always have a hard time with those clamps. Either I have a hard time squeezing them properly or once I do I can't manuever it properly where it belongs!

Any tips??

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
When you buy the clamps new from the dealer, the lower radiator hose clamps have small clips that hold them open.

Slide over hose, put hose on, poition clamp, pull the clip and they tighten up ;)

There are several special tools for working with them, but I've never had an issue (and worm gear clamps suck ass).

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
What really pisses me off is the small ones that don't have the two outer tabs connected, and my pliers are just the right width that they cant grab both at the same time....

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
CyFi6;1319800 said:
What really pisses me off is the small ones that don't have the two outer tabs connected, and my pliers are just the right width that they cant grab both at the same time....

I FREAKING HATE THOSE too lol worst kind ever

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
CyFi6;1319800 said:

I also hate this! I also hate the ones that are two pieces. Same pinch style, but there are two on top of each other? Can't explain it, but I think you know which ones i'm talking about.

I've used needle nose pliers as well as vice grips, but it still takes me way more time than it should. Must be my weak girly hands!!

Sounds like new clamps would do the trick. But i'm probably just going to use a worm clamp.

Weeves

is here to learn
Oct 2, 2008
Winnipeg
Huh? Am I the only one that likes these kind of hose clamps? They're easy to get off with pliers given you clamp from the side and not straight on. I also like how they don't cut into the rubber after a long time like worm clamps do.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Very true about the tools! I hate the feeling of not having the right tool for the job! But is there a specific tool that Toyota uses for these clips?

I like the clips when I can take them on and off easily, but when I have no room to stick my hands or my pliers they are a pain in the ass!! I had a hard time with some of the hoses under the Throttle body and ISCV.

csr ma71

rooftop sniper
Apr 2, 2005
bay area
www.angelfire.com
3piece11NeedleNoseset.jpg

The ones on the right

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
hit advance auto parts....they carry pinch clamp pliers. It's a hand held tool that slides over the ends and when you squeeze the handle it locks to you can slide it down over the hose. Best $35 i ever spend on tools

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
87nasupra;1319836 said:
hit advance auto parts....they carry pinch clamp pliers. It's a hand held tool that slides over the ends and when you squeeze the handle it locks to you can slide it down over the hose. Best $35 i ever spend on tools

That looks pretty sweet. I'll have to go take a look.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
jetjock;1319846 said:
As stated good tools are an investment. They draw less blood too. They won't help with the idiot part though ;)

Haha!! Believe me, at times I can make the best tool look useless!!:3d_frown: