I HATE smoke....

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
Oh boy where do I start... Well just replaced the head gasket because it was suspected to be leaking, no water in oil just at high boost/rpm the engine would bog up and I would get smoke out the exhaust too at idle. Well the engine does not load up at high rpm anymore but umm I just saw it smoke at idle like alot of smoke then I reved it up and then a mintue or so later it was running clean again... Before and after im still having idle problems if u rev it and let off it will die. The idle control clicks like its suppose to also. What could cause this smoke? Could it have somethin to do with the idle too? The smoke scares me, it was a stock HG torq to 85 lbs with ARP studs, a mechanic helped me with it and said it woudent leak but idk.. The turbo is new so I dont think its the turbo oil seals. I use to own a 2003 Lightning and it would smoke on start up and it was somethin like the valve seals? My old motor use to smoke a good deal now and then at idle but it had a metal HG and I dont think it was ever leaking so maybe its somethin elce

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
cant tell... its more white then anything elce, I am running water not A/F the wierd thing is that it comes and then it will go away like now its been fine for an hour. Why would it not be consistant?

mixmastermatt

Former Nissan Junkie
Mar 30, 2006
Taftville, CT
My protege does that too. Of course, the original SOHC head was swapped with a DOHC, and I don't think its on there very well. After it warms up, then it stops smoking. In my case, I think that its the HG and shitty surfaces that seal back up when it expands from heat.