I hate Fry's

Mark3Supraholic

Zero State
Mar 31, 2005
California
They sell crap that's broken half the time. Wouldn't accept my return of a Router. I messed up the box (on accident) and they said the serial number was tampered with (scratched a few times) and per their return policy, couldn't accept it. Well, now I have 2 Linksys Routers. I still hate Fry's though, a friend of mine who worked there for a while said it was such a shithole to work in for decent pay, as bad as Fast food or something. This is now the second time they did this to me, probably the last. Even their Black Friday deals suck now. Eh, I'm done venting.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Tigerdirect.com
I've spent prolly $15,000+ over there. Thats where I get alot of my major components for when I build comps. for people.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
I always recommend Newegg. I've never had a bad experience with them, and my best experience was when I ordered over $600 worth or stuff next day shipping and all of it was in my hands, from California to Florida, in 20 hours.
The ultimate thing that Fry's has over anyone else is that you can look at and hand-pick things [very useful if you were looking for a particular stepping of processor for overclocking]. I love to go there to look for things, but their prices never seemed any better than online retailers. Back in the day when I was a teenager and a Pentium Pro 200 was top-shelf, I wandered that store in awe. It was a total geek haven, but since those days things have become a bit - crappy.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
What?!

Dude, I love Fry's.
I shop there all the time. I've had one bad computer, courtesy of HP, which they replaced fine. Their return policy is sweet. I've returned numerous things, for reasons from buying the wrong thing for my needs to it not working the way I thought it would to simply changing my mind, never had a problem.

Weird you had a problem. Go figure. (BTW which one was this, I shop @ the one in Fremont)
I <3 Fry's.

Mark3Supraholic

Zero State
Mar 31, 2005
California
I like Newegg. Tigerdirect is okay, although sometimes when they have mail in rebates, they tend to get "lost in the mail". Fry's is nice because it's got many products for open viewing, but gone are the days of good to great prices as the store has become increasingly more geared towards the mainstream. Yes you can still buy separate components, but it is ever-increasingly difficult to find great deals. I remember when the tech department had people who had a genuine knowledge of the products they were selling, now I get someone who is closer to my age, and chances are they know about as much as the average consumer, or even worse: a lot less. If I wanted that kind of experience, I would save the trip and go to Best Buy right down the street from me. Good for the corporations, bad for the price-savvy consumer. Driven by the corporate dollar and profitability, Computing today is leaping forward at light speed. Some more knowledgeable than I keep up with the trends. Some, like myself, get burned in one way shape or form by uncaring corporations, but it's not like I've been wronged, they just stuck to their policy, and I have to respect that and just get over this. It's only 70 something bucks. Eh.

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
I love fry's also, I drive all the way down to renton just to go there. Never had a problem at all, I don't think it's fry's fault that some stuff people buy are already broken, it's the makers of the products fault. But couldn't they type in the serial number if they couldn't scan it? Then print another copy of the serial number and stick it to the box? They should have been able to atleast do that.

C

cnewingham

I have a linksys router you can have for free. pm me if you want it. I might not have the power pack but you already have an extra

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
The trick with fry's is this: They sell a LOT of refurbished stuff, and only put a tiny little sticker somewhere not obvious on the box. I bought a router and a racing wheel for my pc there, both turned out like 40$ less than the marked price, i asked why, and after some "research" she told me it was because they had been "successfully refurbished and returned to like new condition." I said what the hell, and bought them.

The Wheel works GREAT except for one of the buttons doesn't click out once you've pressed it. so I dont' use that button. The router worked, but still had all the previous user's settings on it. Fry's is good for DVDs and CDs (i've found some pretty rare stuff there). But for computer components, I ALWAYS use newegg.

Mark3Supraholic

Zero State
Mar 31, 2005
California
Generally fry's is Great! Assuming you ONLY shop in person. I'm more of a "would rather wait a few days and shop online while it gets shipped to my door" kind of person and in no way shape or form is Fry's a terrible place to shop. I just get ticked when the refusal hinges on something so small. This is the 2nd time I heard of this happening, and I've returned or exchanged alot of stuff before, and didn't have a problem until now. So I took a small hit financially and the gain was minimal, but that's okay, at least my moron friends like to make fun of me, and call me dumb for not pursuing it further, but what the hell do I know, I tried so hard not to be anal about things and then get mocked because I took it in strides. Yeah, just hit a bump in the road, rubbed the wrong way, whatever, another day is another day, and as far as I know, tomorrow is considered a day as well.