Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
umm.... ok, lol.

Code:
<a href="http://link.to.whatever/" target="_blank">Click Here</a>

Or, for XHTML (since the target attribute is deprecated):

Code:
<a href="http://link.to.whatever/" onclick="this.target='_blank';">Click Here</a>

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Well, there you go, you got advice from--what seems to be--the two most computer savy dudes on this site. (Nerds!)

Here is a trick that I learned:
When you want to get an HTML document to do something, you can sort of copy it from a preexisting document that has that feature built in already.
Example: You know of a site that does what you want your HTML document to do. So you get the .html file from your TIF.
Then you edit the file and see how it was written or how that feature was put in the file.
Usually it would have "script" before and after it, and also be in red (if in MS FrontPage).

Just a clever trick I learned on my own that has worked for me so far.
I never took any HTML courses nor read any books.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
TONY! said:
Well, there you go, you got advice from--what seems to be--the two most computer savy dudes on this site. (Nerds!)

Here is a trick that I learned:
When you want to get an HTML document to do something, you can sort of copy it from a preexisting document that has that feature built in already.
Example: You know of a site that does what you want your HTML document to do. So you get the .html file from your TIF.
Then you edit the file and see how it was written or how that feature was put in the file.
Usually it would have "script" before and after it, and also be in red (if in MS FrontPage).

Just a clever trick I learned on my own that has worked for me so far.
I never took any HTML courses nor read any books.

haha, I do that all the time. never took any classes myself but made my own websites. took me awhile to realize I could "copy" other sites' html.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
That's Super Nerd to you, Tony! :icon_razz

Looking at other web sites' code is a good way to get ideas or learn how they are doing a certain thing, but don't make the assumption that they did it correctly. Most sites don't follow a lot of HTML standards so if you're just copying/pasting their code you are just spreading their problems.

This could lead to your site displaying incorrectly with some current web browsers or with future web browsers. Also, the more web sites that have broken HTML the more likely web browsers will be designed to work only with broken code. Internet Explorer is a perfect example of this. Here's how it happened:

1. Microsoft bundles Internet Explorer with Windows 98 which will be used by over 90% of consumers in the first big years of the Internet
2. IE doesn't follow proper HTML
3. Because most users had IE at that time web developers designed their sites with broken HTML to "optimize" it for IE, not realizing it won't work on other browsers
4. Consumers are forced to use IE to display poorly coded websites

View this site for more info about why you should code to the standards: http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/ :)