How to tell what transmission i have?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Didnt know that many people sit there and grind reverse all the time. 3rd to reverse works almost everytime. If not 4th will. If not take foot off clutch, push clutch in and start over.

A-to-the-J;1691730 said:
The ID tag on the firewall is usually rubbed off or something. The one on the door jamb is more than likely to have survived.

EDIT: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?47729-Data-Tag-VIN-Decoding-Information

I think they just fall off. Seen countless cars with rivets there but no plate.

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
te72;1688902 said:
If you grind into reverse nearly every time, you might have an r154. ;)

if you put it into 3rd and then reverse, it doesn't grind. sometimes if you put it in 4th and then reverse, it doesn't grind.

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
hvyman;1692867 said:
Didnt know that many people sit there and grind reverse all the time. 3rd to reverse works almost everytime. If not 4th will. If not take foot off clutch, push clutch in and start over.

I think they just fall off. Seen countless cars with rivets there but no plate.

i usually go 2nd then reverse. if that doesn't work, 2nd to 4th to reverse does. lol

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^pokes cain at youngsters.

<runs....

Didn the solstice trans have reverse syncros or was it just that it had triple cone 1-3 and was weaker and needed lots of modification?

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
IJ.;1692914 said:
As I said pages ago nudge it towards ANY forward gear will work... :nono:

I agree. I have had this problem with every 5 speed I have owned. It was a bit worse in the Supra and buddy gave me a one up on this old trick. You know how sometimes just trying to go from a gear or something doesn't work, well I'm usually trying from first to reverse and it just wasn't working, so he says while in first just let the clutch out so the car moves forward just a hair(1/2 inch even works) then go to reverse. I couldn't believe how smooth it was, truly butter like.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yup done that too. Sometimes i have to try all sorts of things short of just rolling into something. Id rather try 20 times than grind.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The snout on the mainshaft wears in both the W and R Supra transmissions, this allows the mainshaft to sag onto the Cluster creating drag, Reverse doesn't have a syncro so it clashes, nudging the shifter towards a forward gear overcomes the friction and stall the Gearset allowing it to slip into reverse without a clash.
(Clutch drag can play a part in this as well)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
What about when you're already moving? Not shifting into reverse when moving, but into the next gear... I've had infrequent issues with my car going from 1-2 on hard acceleration. Usually only happens if I'm near redline.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
te72;1693053 said:
What about when you're already moving? Not shifting into reverse when moving, but into the next gear... I've had infrequent issues with my car going from 1-2 on hard acceleration. Usually only happens if I'm near redline.

To me its 2nd to 3rd. The Gear just won't go in.

Supraman_Lois_Lane

Mar 11, 2011
bridgeport
te72;1693053 said:

I have a problem occasionally with that. Shifting into 1st or even 3rd, sometime it just feels like it doesn't want to go in. I CAN force it if i push hard enough but usually i just coast for a bit and try again, and 99% of the time it does the trick. Not sure why.

A-to-the-J;1691580 said:
Turbo > R154, N/A > W58

I think we all overlooked the fact that it's on the driver side ID tag on the door or chassis. unless the PO swapped it. Does the ID Tag on the firewall, under the hood, have it too?
PO said they swapped an R for the W stock tranny.