how to clean the crankshaft?

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
i would like to know how to clean the crankshaft prior bearing installation.

i do not have a rod not but the journals on the crank are showing showing some wears.
i can't get the crank to a machine shop cause i have no other car and no machine shop around my house.

what can i do to prep the journals on the main and connecting rod journals before i put in the bearing?

thanks for the help.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
suprana1990 said:
...i do not have a rod not [it's rod knock ;)] but the journals on the crank are showing showing some wears.
i can't get the crank to a machine shop cause i have no other car and no machine shop around my house.

what can i do to prep the journals on the main and connecting rod journals before i put in the bearing?

thanks for the help.
If the crank shows wear, it MUST be checked by a machinist -- it is out of your hands.
It can't just go back in! It must be checked by a pro. You don't put a crank back in if it shows wear!
It must be checked in ways that are beyond you, and it may need to be cut.
Find a way to get it to a machine shop. Where do you live? there has to be a shop somewhere near you... (I really wish members could list their location as it is to THEIR best interest and will give them better answers at times, such as this).

If you want to do things the right way, I just told you how. If you want advice how to do a crappy build, don't expect any answers.

I am just telling you what I would want someone to tell me if I were in your shoes, 'cause that would be a big no no putting in a worn crank.

BTW, I posted on your thread about mic'ing cranks a while back:
http://supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3177&highlight=mic
Have you mic'ed the crank the way I told you to?
If so, are the numbers uniform on the journals and at different points?

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
Thanks Tony
I am not definite it is showing wear.
I am only half way to tearing down the engine.
I only took off two of the connecting rod bearing.

I understand what you mean Tony and thanks for the input.
I am getting the crank mic'ed today and see if it is worn down.If it is i will definitely find someone or nag someone give me a lift to machinest.

C

cnewingham

take it to a machine shop no matter what. It only cost me $10 to have the lournals polished and if it needed to be grinded it was only going to be $45

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
i went and ask a mechanics shop and they will be polishing my crankshaft.
don't want to end up ripping apart the motor the 3 time(i don't think 3rd time is the charm). Bringing it to them tomorrow early in the morning.

i took the crank out and the connecting rod looks like it need some polishing too. i guess i ran low on oil and it look kind of burnt.
i will have to ask them if they can do anything about the connecting rods.

thanks everyone for talking me into "dam it just take it to the machine shop".