how to change diff fluid?

infamous7

almost ready to destroy
May 18, 2007
cali
just did this and my trans last night...the fill started to strip on me with a 12pt 24mm so i used a 6pt 15/16 and a little persuasion...i dont think it was ever changed. actually looked decent for 130k but im glad i changed it...now if i could finish the damn build and go do those donuts you refer too:naughty:

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
abda53 said:
you may cause more damage in the process or just trying to get it out.. especially if it seized or stripped.

Either way, it HAS to come out unless you are a person that doesn't give a rats ass. :sarcasm:

Duane

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
With some clean, clear tube from a hardware store, or if you have some laying around, you can fill the rear diff pretty easy.

It takes two people however.

1) Remove fill and drain plugs.
2) I like to wash out the housing with some brake cleaner, or carb cleaner. Just spray it in there, and let it wash out all the old oil/crap possible.
3) Let it air dry out any cleaner you have put in. (Open for 10 min. is all it takes.)
4) Put in the drain plug.
5) Route your clear hose to the fill port. Have your assistant standing with the gear lube container and the other end of the hose on the Right Rear wheel area. You will find the hose routes up by the tire/wheel just fine, and goes down from there to the fill port.
6) While you hold the hose in the diff, and monitor how much fluid is in there, your assistant inserts the clipped end of one pointed cap of gear lube, and GENTLY pours/squeezes the gear lube down the tube.
7) IIRC, when you have two full quarts in there, it only takes a little more.. So do not go hog wild, or your going to have gear lube all over the place. (Any extra lube in the hose will have to go somewhere.)

Or just buy a pump, or dispensor like Upgraded's (I used a pump for years, and the hose is just faster/easy in my opinion, but filling up the transmisison, the pump is simple.)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Greg: I do it much the same but use a plastic 1 qt bottle and screw it's nozzle into the hose then grab the air hose turn the reg down to 3 psi and punch a small hole in the bottom of the bottle apply pressure and repeat until it's all in :)

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
:) Was doing that years ago Ian, and ended up with oil all over everything! Me included...

Forgot to turn down the air pressue, and "bumped it" just a little, and POOF< there was oil everywhere. Actually pushed the hose out of the transmisison I was filling, popped the lid off the gear lube bottle, and the oil under pressure went out any opening...

Make sure you turn down the pressure to 3 to 5 psi like you said, or your going to regret it. :)

I've always found that the piston type fillers leak too. This is why I like the hose/helper setup. If you do it right, there is little to no spill, and it's pretty dang clean. The pump that screws right into standard sized lube containers works pretty good, but I reccomend storing it in an empty container. (Just keep one container for storing your pump. Drill a hole about 1/2 way down the container that is just large enough for the hose that comes off the pump. You can push the hose in there while your storing it. It keeps it pretty clean too this way. You will also find that quite a bit of gear oil settles down into the storage setup, and you can just pump it right out every time, then transfer over to the new containers and fill up whatever your filling up.)

need new tires

rubber slinger
Nov 10, 2005
Dayton,Ohio
Adjuster said:
:)Make sure you turn down the pressure to 3 to 5 psi like you said, or your going to regret it. :)

hmm i have always used 35-40psi, never anything bad from that psi. now my dad did forget to turn it down from 140psi and well ... you get the picture.

-shane