how much shaft play is to much?

BoostFreak

Nov 11, 2005
Ohio
I have a fairly large turbo xspower t70 (yeah I know) and I have put about 6 miles on it and about 20 combined menutes of idling, now i think my drain is bad (has a kink) but could that kill a trubo that fast, I mean I know they should all have a little side to side play but what aobut front to back? it has a litle not alot but enough to feel it and make me worry, its not smooking at all, and not blowing any oil out the comp side eaither, but the play is scaring me, any sugestions? thanks

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
It should have ZERO front to back(axial?) shaft play.
Minimal side to side... Basically, this is one of those things where if you have to ask, it's probably too much...

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
did you prime the turbo before using it? all turbos have play, but anything more than a few centimeters could be grounds for a rebuild.

edit: yes, like supra90turbo just said, ZERO front to back play.

also, a kinked line could very well kill a turbo. oil starvation = death to everything.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
it's alright ken. just givin you a hard time...
lmao! I mean, if you got CM of play in your turbo, well.... no need to ask if it's junk. hahahaha

BoostFreak

Nov 11, 2005
Ohio
yeah I primed it, cranked car over with efi fuse out untill it built pressure, not sure how a kinked drain would starve the turbo for oil, more like flood it, but as far as shaft play, it has maybe 1mm at most side to side but the forward/bakcwords is what scares me, it less than 1mm but still, it scares me, could it have gone that fast?