How much play is normal in a Stock Turbo shaft?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
injectors aren't something fuck around with....get the 550's and be done with it....don't risk a rebuilt motor just cause you don't want to spend $500...blown motor can set you back $$$$!

rawmk3

Jul 5, 2008
IL
CATarga;1133480 said:
So basically the stock CT26 w/mods 1-3 will get me to about 350(give or take). Then I should go with the 550cc's, Lexus MAF, and a larger turbo to support the additional 100-150hp. This isn't bad at all. The first step will give me an idea of how much more I need, if any above 350(may want/not need it).

I also am aware of the issues w/the asbestos free HG, the same issue arose w/the 3.0 truck engine, only the availability of a MHG wasn't available until recently.

Basically the engine itself will be new, not sure if I am going to send the injectors out to be cleaned/rebuilt/balanced, or hold off and see if I am going to go w/550's, rather not waste a few $100 if I am not going to use them.

Ok from my research (about a year of it now) here is a list of general things you will need to make your 400-450hp goals.

57trim ct upgraded turbo (stock is out of its effective range after 14psi)
atleast a 550cc injector (dont use venom)
Metal head gasket
ARP head studs
lexus MAF
BOV ( if you plan on keeping only stock electrical u have to vent back into the intake, or u will stall the car on a down shift more often than not.)
Air fuel controller, and wide band for tuning purposes.
Manual or electric boost controller (pick your poision)
A good aftermarket boost gauge ( stock one just blows )
Full exhaust system atleast 2.75 inches but preferably 3"

If you want actual HP gains from each part and or each stage you can figure the HP will vary based on AT or MT. But if you want block HP, figure and exhaust, K&N little things like that will gain about 10hp in reality. While you have the motor apart go with a metal or cometic head gasket, because they are better than stock, and will handle the power you are looking for. Head studs from ARP because well toy head bolts BLOW. The lexus MAF and 550 injectors will give you very little extra power without other mods being made. They are really there for the bigger turbo. If you are going for 400-450 get the 57trim upgrade for the CT-26, because it bolts right up to the stock exhaust mani, and you can get alot more useable boost out of it. The stock FMIC should be able to do OK for you, but you will need hard pipes for it, that u can get from cooleze or even have them made at a local shop. You will also want to upgrade your BOV, but do keep in mind that if your running a lexus MAF you will have to route the air from your BOV back to the intake piping before the turbo or you will run very rich when your BOV pops. Trying to skimp on a build like that may be very costly, so please do all of us a favor and do some more research before you get into a sticky situation. Do you really want to chance running lean by not putting in bigger injectors? Do u really want to chance blowing up a stock turbo because your trying to push it beyond its limits? Your turbo u showed is royally screwed. That blade is out of balance, and a turbo can spin at 100,000 RPM at boost, do u really want something out of balance to be spinning that fast? And I would suggest a mild cam while your at it, but that is my own personal opinion. All the boost and fuel isnt going to mean much if your cams arent keeping your valves open long enough to let it all in the cylinder. Just my 2 cents.

rawmk3

Jul 5, 2008
IL
CATarga;1131909 said:
Yes I have been doing my research, best that I can finding info here and at SF. Given the weight of the car I figured 400-450hp(not rwhp) would be good target. I originally posted my plans(on other sites) and asked for advice for how someone would go about building a 400-450hp road car, and really didn't get the help I was looking for. I hoped I would get responses with "I did this and these were my results, but I didn't. I did get the following info though, but no general hp gains for the mods.

Stage 1
K&N high performance air filter kit
3 inch down pipe
3 inch exhaust
*Optional* Test Pipe(not likely an option here in CA)
*Recommended* 12 volt mod for fuel pump

Stage 2
Stage 1+
HKS BOV kit, or equivalent
3 inch turbo elbow
Boost controller
12 volt mod for fuel pump
*Recommended* Shocks and springs
*Recommended* Brake upgrade (pad's, and or lines)
*Highly Recommended* 3 inch test pipe, or high flow cat

Stage 3
Stage 2+
Intercooler Kit
Hard Pipes
Metal head gasket (required at this stage, may be needed for earlier stages)
ARP head studs, or bolts (studs recommended)
Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump
*optional* Fuel pressure regulator

Any idea of what the hp gains one can expect(generally) from these mods. I know before upgrading to the Lexus AFM, i need to upgrade to 550cc injectors, but from what I understand they are only necessary if I want to go beyond 450hp, or are these mods needed to support 400-450?

I had planned to do the intake(using the stock intercooler) and exhaust, fuel pump/wiring, BOV, MHG and ARP studs, mods during the rebuild, and see how the car performs. Not sure if the boost controler is within my current budget or not(still have paint to buy).

Also, you can Build your own manual boost controller for like 15 bux. Google DIY boost controllers. There is one on a DSM website that will walk you thru doing a complete parts list and how to assemble it to get it to work. And the fuel pump rewire is simple, and cheap too. But please make sure your machinist knows that your putting a MHG on your motor if your going metal, and that the surface of both the block and head are basically glass smooth. I believe its an Ra value of 12 or better. http://www.geocities.com/chmwatson/FAQs/mbc.html
That is the link to the Manual boost controller that was on the DSM site. Double check your work, and def do a suspension upgrade if your planning on carving corners (but im willing to bet you already knew that) and enjoy your car. I think you will create a lil to much low end tq to really get into it to hard tho.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
rawmk3;1133912 said:
Also, you can Build your own manual boost controller for like 15 bux. Google DIY boost controllers. There is one on a DSM website that will walk you thru doing a complete parts list and how to assemble it to get it to work. And the fuel pump rewire is simple, and cheap too. But please make sure your machinist knows that your putting a MHG on your motor if your going metal, and that the surface of both the block and head are basically glass smooth. I believe its an Ra value of 12 or better. http://www.geocities.com/chmwatson/FAQs/mbc.html
That is the link to the Manual boost controller that was on the DSM site. Double check your work, and def do a suspension upgrade if your planning on carving corners (but im willing to bet you already knew that) and enjoy your car. I think you will create a lil to much low end tq to really get into it to hard tho.

Ra of 30 or better...your not going to get an ra of 12 on a sand cast aluminum very easily!...it would take polish compound to even come close to that!