how do i get a throwoutbearing out?

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
im not sure if thats what it is called.

its a 1 inch bearing that sits in the middle of the rear main seal for the crankshaft.

i have my gte transplant on hold because i cant get my clutch kit on cause i dont know how to get that fucking bearing out.i know you need a special tool to take it out.

but is ther any other way to take it out with basic tools?

please help me out my gte just got a fresh harness yesterday and all it needs now is a clutch and its ready to fire up!!

anybody that has ever built a motor knows what im feeling right now ....i wanna hear that gte purr!

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
fill the hole with grease

find a bolt/dowel that fits snugly in the hole

fill it with more grease...and then some more.

hit the bolt/dowel with a hammer - hydraulic action will press the bearing out. (you will have to add more grease as the bearing comes out)

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
If you have a buddy or know a mechanic that has a slide hammer kit you can borrow, do that up. Its quick and super easy using the proper tool for the job.

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
adampecush;1364252 said:
fill the hole with grease

find a bolt/dowel that fits snugly in the hole

fill it with more grease...and then some more.

hit the bolt/dowel with a hammer - hydraulic action will press the bearing out. (you will have to add more grease as the bearing comes out)

what he said

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
Its called a pilot bearing homes. To remove use slide hammer which are cheap and great for removal when hook attachment is used.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The proper tool is a bit of a pain to come buy for the slide hammer (local parts stores don't carry one small enough)

Personally, I just checked mine and since it still worked fine and didn't have issues, I left it... Keep in mind a have a tranny jack and could drop a tranny in a few hours if I really needed to replace it.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
they do carry them they just are not up front about the right slide hammer kit because it costs 90$ or so and offer the cheap kit at 15-20$. (the rent tool thing)

insist on the higher priced kit and replace that bearing heh. just a waste of time if you are using the wrong tool for the job.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Used a bit of moly grease and the clutch alignment thing, as I recall. Took a while of filling it with grease, but once you get it filled it slides out nice n easy.

I tried to find a slide hammer or bearing puller but could find anything close to the right size. :dunno:

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Once upon a time a long time ago I had it all apart and couldn't get the thing out and it looked fine, but VERY shortly later I sure cursed and swore that I hadn't taken care of the damn thing when I did have it all apart anyways. I growled like a bugger until I went back in again.

I did not know the grease trick, but it makes perfect sense. Awsome tip, you learn something new every day especially here.

Thanks

88 Blue_Dragon

Wish i hadn't sold my sup
Dec 3, 2008
Beaverton, Or
i got my old rusted in one out by just using one of my old head bolts and had one of the treads grab. hammered it for a little bit and it wiggled out.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Good luck finding the right one ^^

Local place doesn't carry one small enough (yes I looked).

You can also use wet paper towel in place of grease...

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Poodles;1364584 said:
Good luck finding the right one ^^

Local place doesn't carry one small enough (yes I looked).

You can also use wet paper towel in place of grease...

yes they do :p

done this about 12 times on the m+jz engines renting the tool every time heh. in dallas and denver.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I used small strips of torn newspaper, soaked in PB Blaster. I was amazed at how many times I thought it was full and the hammer packed it in tighter. Keep packing grease, paper towels, newspaper, or whatever in there until it pops it out. I personally think the grease may get messy.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
The one I got looks like a small tail pipe expander that at this point has removed every bushing or bearing for clutch jobs.

Total time is 10 secs to remove. Also comes with the right drivers for the new bearings.