How bad is brake boosting?

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Nick M;1036681 said:
Stepping on the brake only slows you down when you are moving. No ifs ands or buts about it. Stupid ricers.

Thats actually kinda the point there Nick. By holding the car back with the brakes to remain lined up with your opponent, while simultaniously building turbo pressure allowing for more horsepower when the signal to go is given, you increase your chances of winning. By your statement it sounds like you are doing it wrong ;)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
suprahero;1036799 said:
:burnout:.......The only thing I ever had to replace was an auto tranny, but I did that twice before going to the five speed swap. I wish I'd just rebuilt my auto like I did my wifes with a kit from IPT.

I don't see how the tranny coolers can help that much if you're sitting still and brake boosting. It seems like air would have to be flowing over it to cool it off. I know it helps, but I can't see how it would help enough to keep from tearing up the transmission. I'm also a construction worker with a fifth grade education, so................

Install a larger oil cooler and wire up a ducted fan to keep air flowing....

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
I really dont understand the whole brake boosting thing. Why not just downshift a gear and get the RPMs up that way. Has to be easier than glazing the pads while rolling.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
NeedsAPorsche;1037373 said:
because the whole point is to try and build boost while next to your opponent, so when it's time to go you can pull strong with full boost, especially with larger turbos...like the Holset :3d_frown:

I understand the whole building boost idea. I just dont understand why you hit the brakes (slowing the car/glazing the pads and rotors) as opposed to downshifting a gear.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Kckazdude;1037417 said:
I understand the whole building boost idea. I just dont understand why you hit the brakes (slowing the car/glazing the pads and rotors) as opposed to downshifting a gear.

because boost is load dependent more than anything else..

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
blog.highoctanephotos.com
87supraturbo19;1037425 said:
(Above) That and if your ripping from first you cant down shift and its just a personal preference i dont like to down shift to first.

plus, you'll get better results rolling @ 3000rpm with a bar of boost and running to redline before shifting, than if you're rolling at 6000rpm with the same boost and running to redline before shifting...

the reason for doing this is to give you a bit more power a lot lower in the revs than you'd normally have it....

88tsupra

Mar 21, 2007
long beach
I've done this once from a dead stop and I have to say it did launch way harder then just revving and dumping the clutch.

MK3BRENT...LOVE the TURBO and CAR:aigo::aigo: