Horsepower dropping off at 5-6 grand on Tac

7mgt45r

7mgt45r
Sep 23, 2007
ATLANTA, GEORGIA
Hello everyone need a little help pls. I went to dyno my car yesterday and couldn't reach 400hp only 396.The car ran fine and had enough fuel.The problem was it would boost up to 18psi and at 5-6 grand the boast would rise and the horse power would drop everytime.So we chked the boost contoller it was okay.Disconnected boost controller and tried just on waste gate samething the car just stop making power up top. Build sheet is(Bored 40over JE piston 8:9:1 comp.,all ARP Hardware,Eagle Rods, clevette bearings,Brain Crower valves and valve springs,head ported/polished,T67 comp turbo, big intercooler cus. 2 1/2 pipes, cus.4inch exhaust, Ebay 40mm SS Chrome waste gate,2 walboro 255lp fuel pumps -8 feed, Precision turbo 680cc injectors, VPC/ SAFC, Greddy Profec b, HKS Twin Power ignition upgrade,18lb flywheel, RPS stage 3 cluthe and 19inch rims. Could someone pls give me some advice. I'm thinking a waste gate problem.

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Most likely the wastegate. Same thing happened to my friend but with a stock wastegate on 15-18psi it peaked around 4500rpms then started tappering off. I heard if you shim the wastegate it holds a bit better.

7mgt45r

7mgt45r
Sep 23, 2007
ATLANTA, GEORGIA
SUPERIUM;1374569 said:
Most likely the wastegate. Same thing happened to my friend but with a stock wastegate on 15-18psi it peaked around 4500rpms then started tappering off. I heard if you shim the wastegate it holds a bit better.

Thanks for comment, how would you shim the wastegate? i have a external waste gate

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
^ Nice try..but he has an external gate...Which can't be shimmed to my knowledge.

Edit: Bah..beat by Jdub.

Does the boost stay steady at 18psi throughout the run or does it drop down at those rpms?You could try a stiffer spring in the WG. Do you know what pound spring is in there?

I believe the rule of thumb is to run no more than twice the psi of what the WG spring is. So if you have a 7lb spring, you shouldn't run much above 14psi...but then again, people run more boost all the time. It just doesn't hold steady all of the time either.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Could be several things:
- What cams are you using and did you degree them when the motor was built?
- Without knowing what that turbo flows, could be a restriction in your IC or the piping.
- If the turbo flows enough, you may have achieved critical mach in the IC piping...i.e. it's too small

It doesn't sound like a wastegate to me, but it also won't hurt to check the spring.

7mgt45r

7mgt45r
Sep 23, 2007
ATLANTA, GEORGIA
jdub;1374695 said:
Could be several things:
- What cams are you using and did you degree them when the motor was built?
- Without knowing what that turbo flows, could be a restriction in your IC or the piping.
- If the turbo flows enough, you may have achieved critical mach in the IC piping...i.e. it's too small

It doesn't sound like a wastegate to me, but it also won't hurt to check the spring.

Using stock cams and yes they were degreed when motor was built. Jdubb give me a call i spoke with you before on a issue i had. 7708704600 Anthony. Jdubb my intercooler piping is 2 1/2 inchs.