Hitting Fuel Cut??

1992supraman

Dec 1, 2007
Corvallis, OR
I have recently been started hitting fuel cut when Im at full throttle. My stock bypass valve stopped working and once i replaced it I began hitting fuel cut. I have full 3in turbo back exhaust, and a cone filter. But I dont hit fuel cut instantly. It goes to 8 and then creeps up to 11 (fuel cut). Whats wrong?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
If it started happening when you replaced the bypass valve, that's the first place to start looking.

Also, a valve that's being pushed open under boost IS a boost leak.

1992supraman

Dec 1, 2007
Corvallis, OR
My old bypass valve was not working at all so it was open all the time. Due to the HUGE boost leak it wouldnt boost very high. I fixed the bypass valve with a brand new functioning bypass valve. ive checked it several times so i know its not that. has anyone heard of the stock wastegate going bad?

wangdoodle1740

Jan 11, 2008
indiana
If you say your boost is creeping to 11psi then that is your problem. I think these cars start hitting fuel cut stock anywhere between 12-14psi. Some cars vary by a psi or so. Do you have an aftermarket boost gauge? I would say that opening the exhaust allowed the turbo to spin more freelly, thus resulting in the creeping/fuel cut. Get a cheap, manual boost controller and set it to hold 10psi solid. If your wastegate was bad, you would either get no boost cause it's stuck open, or serious boost spikes (20psi+) cause it's opening too slow or not at all.

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
You know I did the same thing. Just put on a full 3 inch from the turbo back and new blow off valve. Last night a civic pulled up on the freeway and wanted to play so I said ok and floored it. I saw the boost hit 8 and then started to creep past and then BAM!! fuel cut along with check engine light. I was pissed. I am looking for the thread that showed how to make your own boost leak checker.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I shimmed my gate in the summer to like 11psi and once it got cold one night i hit fuel cut and that caused a BHG :( ..Which im in the process of fixing right now.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
more boost wont cause a bhg..... FC wont cause a BHG either. FC is just the ECU's way of saving the engine when it sees that boost has exceeded its limits.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Heh. More boost won't DIRECTLY cause a BHG, but it can certainly be a contributing factor. FCO, though, I can't see how that could cause a BHG. The whole point of fuel cut is to keep the engine from overstraining, or running dangerously lean should an injector go static.

1992supraman

Dec 1, 2007
Corvallis, OR
toyzforme;900738 said:
You know I did the same thing. Just put on a full 3 inch from the turbo back and new blow off valve. Last night a civic pulled up on the freeway and wanted to play so I said ok and floored it. I saw the boost hit 8 and then started to creep past and then BAM!! fuel cut along with check engine light. I was pissed. I am looking for the thread that showed how to make your own boost leak checker.

yeah thats EXACTLY what caused me to post this thread. I had hit fuel cut a couple times a while ago but last friday i was on the highway and pulled up next to a turbo civic hatch. EXACT SAME THING happened to me. 8psi and then creep to FC. If you find that thread could you post it in this thread?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Boost creep basically means that your wastegate is inadequate for bypassing the turbine. This doesn't seem like boost leak.

Not sure what the temp is where you live, but FC will happen at lower flow/boost with cooler temps. Also, the high flow exhaust seems to promote boost creep, since a restrictive exhaust will decrease pressure differential across the turbine, making the wastegate have to do more work.