high speed vibration

F_T_F

C2H5OH
Nov 12, 2006
fort fun, colorado
this problem started a couple days ago and i've been trying to track it down. when i start going above 60MPH and let off the gas and coast there is a very intense vibration. its present at 80mph even with my foot on the gas but is definitely more intense when im coasting. any suggestions on what i should be looking for or looking at?

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
F_T_F said:
this problem started a couple days ago and i've been trying to track it down. when i start going above 60MPH and let off the gas and coast there is a very intense vibration. its present at 80mph even with my foot on the gas but is definitely more intense when im coasting. any suggestions on what i should be looking for or looking at?

You check all your joints on your driveshaft? Id start there, to be honest I forget the part names, but a good overlook on that will be a good start.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
F_T_F said:
drove shaft is ok, its definitelly comming from the front end of the car

From the front, check your suspension system out, make sure youre not missing any bolts, and then your brakes, make sure in that area nothing came loose. Also check your inner (mud guards?) I had this issue then one day at 90mph my freakin inner tire wall guard just came off, tore out from under the car, it was loose and the tire grabbed it.

F_T_F

C2H5OH
Nov 12, 2006
fort fun, colorado
phoenix6 said:
From the front, check your suspension system out, make sure youre not missing any bolts, and then your brakes, make sure in that area nothing came loose. Also check your inner (mud guards?) I had this issue then one day at 90mph my freakin inner tire wall guard just came off, tore out from under the car, it was loose and the tire grabbed it.
i did have an issure with the mud guards, both of them came loose and hit the tire, didn't rip it off put a hole from all the friction. but its all bolted down now

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
F_T_F said:
i did have an issure with the mud guards, both of them came loose and hit the tire, didn't rip it off put a hole from all the friction. but its all bolted down now

Oh ok, yeah mine ripped off, both at differnt times, really pissed me off but caused bad vibrations

F_T_F

C2H5OH
Nov 12, 2006
fort fun, colorado
phoenix6 said:
Oh ok, yeah mine ripped off, both at differnt times, really pissed me off but caused bad vibrations
at this point im thinking thats the problem, i didn't see anything that really popped out at then again i just once overed the suspension. that and the vibration doesn't seem to do anything but vibrate. nothing in the steering, brakes or any of that seems to be effected

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
F_T_F said:
at this point im thinking thats the problem, i didn't see anything that really popped out at then again i just once overed the suspension. that and the vibration doesn't seem to do anything but vibrate. nothing in the steering, brakes or any of that seems to be effected

Take them off, go drive and see.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
F_T_F said:
just finished that up and vibration was still there

fuck, someone else needs to chime in, atm im out of ideas, sorry. Check timing, throttle body, intake, wheels, transmission.

Is it manual or auto?

JoeyD

Feb 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
you know what's odd, i actually had something similiar in my last Supra...

it was actually something that kicked in right at about 60MPH and it would vibrate(although not too much) and i would hear this loud ass humming sound.. and it would only do that at 60.. 55, no 65, no.. just at 60..

i never found out what it was though & have since gotten rid of the car.

F_T_F

C2H5OH
Nov 12, 2006
fort fun, colorado
supraman7mgte said:
i'd check your tire pressure.
are the tires still in balance? no missing weights?
has the front end come out of alignment?
struts in good condition?
tire pressure yes
as for balancing the tires i was plannin on taking it in tomorrow to have teh tires balanced and an alingnment check. im starting to question the balljoints. as for the struts give me moment

F_T_F

C2H5OH
Nov 12, 2006
fort fun, colorado
lugs are torqued correctly and tires still have plenty of life on them. struts checked out too. i did see on the stearing gear linkage that two bushings are probably in need of replacement.

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
Check motor mounts and the fan. If you have a broken fan blade, it will do some shaken.

I have had both of these parts fail at different times, both of which gave me some vibrations---motor mount would shake in the front end and sterring wheel at speed, the fan missing one blade would vibrate enough to shake the rear view mirror. I thought it was in the drivetrain because it felt like it would do it at speed until I did some more checking.

Damn flying fan blade took out the shroud and one of the aux fans, but we are all better now.

Wayne