hg replacement help???

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
taka21;1362571 said:
no i dont need a full set cause i already got the other components
just need the valve seals
Post in the WTB section. Sure somebody has a set. I have a spare set from a gasket set.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
ok so im trying to get the head clean and the bottom of it is not really smooth
it doesnt look like it can be scraped with a razor
how else can i get the last bits of gasket material off

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Might want to check it for flatness...if it's out of TSRM spec it will need to be decked anyway.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
ok i sent the head off to the machine shop they will let me know the verdict in the morning

i had one other question
how do you know if your valve stem seals are bad
i only ask because im having the worst time acquiring a new set to be on the safe side
the ones i had didnt appear to be damaged

the other thing is that the valves are coated in carbon the intake valves werent too bad but the exhaust valves were coated horribly and the carbon is black right on the valve but it has a white or off white layer right on top of that
and its a pain to scrape off even with a razor
i was told its caused by a lean condition im trying to find out if thats true and how to avoid it

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You want to change the seals...unless you want blue smoke on start-up.

Pics of the valves?
(might be time for a valve job)

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
The shop will probably tell you it needs a valve job, sounds like it would be a good time. Don't think you can tell if the seals are bad, did you notice black gooie stuf comming down torwards the head of the valves? Like Jdub said, replace them. Easier to have the shop do a valve job, surface the head, replace the seals. They should check the components also i.e. valves, springs, etc., and set the valve lash for you.

Still haven't found the seals in the WTB section? Let me know, I will look for the extra set I have laying around somewere, in the middle of moving :(

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
AJ'S 88NA;1366295 said:
The shop will probably tell you it needs a valve job, sounds like it would be a good time. Don't think you can tell if the seals are bad, did you notice black gooie stuf comming down torwards the head of the valves? Like Jdub said, replace them. Easier to have the shop do a valve job, surface the head, replace the seals. They should check the components also i.e. valves, springs, etc., and set the valve lash for you.

Still haven't found the seals in the WTB section? Let me know, I will look for the extra set I have laying around somewere, in the middle of moving :(

i sent a bare head to the shop but i have the valves soaking in some seafoam wich is really doing the trick
and no one has responded to my new thread for the valve seals in the wtb section
if its not too much trouble i would really appreciate you even taking the time to look for your extra set

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
taka21;1366302 said:
i sent a bare head to the shop but i have the valves soaking in some seafoam wich is really doing the trick
and no one has responded to my new thread for the valve seals in the wtb section
if its not too much trouble i would really appreciate you even taking the time to look for your extra set
I would have and most on here would have sent the complete head and let them check everything and do the valve job if the head checks out.

I'll try to find the seals.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
7M-KDL;1367024 said:
not to hijack, but how much would sending the block, assembled, to a machine shop and having them check everything, set lash and do a valve job and stem seals? ballpark figure..

i just had my head shaved down a bit and it cost me $58 so i would venture to say that you could probably get it all done for about $200 ish
anyone who has had this done feel free to correct me if im wrong

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Just the valve job would be more than $200 including resurface, lash, ready to bolt on. A complete rebuild would cost $1500 and up plus parts.