hg replacement help???

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
hey i finally went ahead and got things ready for my hg replacement i loosend all the head bolts in order but when i got to number 10 it simply rounded itself out so all the other bolts came out but that one
my question is how can i get that damn bolt out
it is also torqued down to 72ft/lbs and these are stock head bolts

thanks

Danlo

May 27, 2009
North Carolina
taka21;1360498 said:
hey i finally went ahead and got things ready for my hg replacement i loosend all the head bolts in order but when i got to number 10 it simply rounded itself out so all the other bolts came out but that one
my question is how can i get that damn bolt out
it is also torqued down to 72ft/lbs and these are stock head bolts

thanks

What do you mean? The head of the bolt?
Are you using a 6 point socket?

Danlo

May 27, 2009
North Carolina
taka21;1360532 said:
no i mean the head bolt its a hex key bolt and the inside rounded out

Oh!
Get the next size up hex and grind the bottom tip flat. You dont want any round corners on it.
Try to tap it in with a hammer until it goes in. If it goes in the hole you should have enough grip to get that bolt out.

If that doesnt work. I have seen guys with a hammer and chissel hit the head of the bolt intil it rotates free.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
Danlo;1360562 said:
Oh!
Get the next size up hex and grind the bottom tip flat. You dont want any round corners on it.
Try to tap it in with a hammer until it goes in. If it goes in the hole you should have enough grip to get that bolt out.

If that doesnt work. I have seen guys with a hammer and chissel hit the head of the bolt intil it rotates free.

ok so i got a torx that is equivelent to an 11mm hex im banging that in to the bolt head its taking forever tho
i just orderd a set of arp bolts so once this last bolt comes out i wont have this problem again

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
A torx is a good solution. Did you take the cam out on that side? Might make it easier.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
jdub;1360896 said:
A torx is a good solution. Did you take the cam out on that side? Might make it easier.

thanks
i finally got the head off
its really suprising the head gasket doesnt look blown
im kinda perplexed
oh and before i forget all of the pistons and valves are all encrusted with some chared substance
how do i get this stuff off safely ???
heres what the block looks like and most of the cylinders look like on the gasket
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ndID=17243371&albumID=202689&imageID=63933722
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ndID=17243371&albumID=202689&imageID=63933728
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ndID=17243371&albumID=202689&imageID=63933750

Last edited:

supraduper

Jun 7, 2009
merrimack nh
as far as cleaning the pistons and valves... you can usually find concentrated parts cleaner that you can soak the parts in for a few hours or so... that will remove everything... howver, if your not going to remove the pistons from the block... just STOP, leave that shit on the pistons... as its better encrusted to the piston tops, than it is lining your cylinder walls.... and let me tell you from expirience, a smokey engine after a HGR is quite the downer... and not to mention since you didnt realize right away it was burning your oil, you end up running dry and now you have a knocking and smoking engine... but it wont burn coolant.. lol

really depends on the route your going..

but if i had to guess, if you have that buildup, your likely already burning oil

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
ok so i hope tht works im not too sure how to get the images to work

also the block looks kinda nasty can i clean it with the parts cleaner too?

supraduper

Jun 7, 2009
merrimack nh
are you pulling the engine? or not?

if you pull it... you best bet is to send it to a machine shop... they will dunk tank it before they hone it and deck it...

but if ur keeping it in there... just use degreaser and some elbow grease

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
supraduper;1361499 said:
are you pulling the engine? or not?

if you pull it... you best bet is to send it to a machine shop... they will dunk tank it before they hone it and deck it...

but if ur keeping it in there... just use degreaser and some elbow grease

yea the block is staying in i cant pull it right now
but you say i can just clean it with degreaser
so i should i just bring each piston up to the top and clean it then set everything back to tdc ?

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
ok so im soaking the surface of the block with degreaser and scrubbing the piston heads clean
would it be a good idea to take a bit of sand paper to the block surface to get the gasket remains off it?

supraduper

Jun 7, 2009
merrimack nh
dude listen... did you read what ive been saying???

this part is CRITICAL that you do it right... as if you get gasket material into the cylinders, you wil have wasted your time as your engine will then burn oil....

and when you said clean the block... i thought you meant.. the "block" not the deck, or the block surface, as it would have been better put

you clean the surface by plugging the cylinder with rags..many of them... to insure nothing gets on the cylinders...

use "gasket remover" on the surface... let it sit and after a while you can scrap it off, while being carefull not to gouge the deck surface...

sand paper is a horrible idea, esp coarser grits..

supraduper

Jun 7, 2009
merrimack nh
not to mention... you need to be sure that no coolant got into the oil pan when you removed the head... as it would be pretty difficult to get that water 100 percent out of the pan, without removing the pan...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
supraduper;1361598 said:
theres more than one way to skin a cat...

i think he was recommending a product...

I was...it's specifically made to remove carbon from piston tops and valves. Makes it a lot easier.

I wouldn't use sandpaper on a block deck...ever.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
jdub;1361769 said:
I was...it's specifically made to remove carbon from piston tops and valves. Makes it a lot easier.

I wouldn't use sandpaper on a block deck...ever.

ok no sand paper
looking for gasket remover
is there anything i can coat the cylinder walls with to protect them???
this is the first time ive attempted this major a job on my car

so thanks everyone for putting up with my noobish questions and lack of knowledge