Hesitation in midrange RPM

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
while driving on the highway the other day i changed lanes to pass someone and noticed that i have a slight hesitation between 3800-4000rpm under moderate to full acceleration. in 2nd gear its barely noticeable and 3rd gear its very noticeable((f.y.i. auto tranny)). when i reach roughly 3800rpm in 3rd gear, the engine literally seems to make no power whatsoever for about 2 seconds and then the rpm's continue to rise as normal. the second time i passed someone on the highway i hit roughly 3800rpm and it hit the dead spot again and this time dropped down to 3700rpm and then continued to rise as normal. all my maintenance is up to date. could something be wrong with my ACIS? any suggestions would be appreciated!

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
ive owned the car 3 years now and its never seemed to do that before. yea that is right when the ACIS transition starts, but should it actually lug the motor down/cease power for those 2 seconds while it engages? i suppose ill check the vacuum hose that leads to the acis. ive never driven any other n/a supra so i cant compare. anyone else ever have this problem?

Murd

Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver, WA.
In your maintenances have you had the tranny properly flushed? I had the same problem on my 88 N/A auto and did this, tranny's still going out, but it caused this problem to be reduced quite a bit.

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
swapped tranny and converter from a 91 turbo a few weeks ago since my old converter was whining and slipping. fluid and filter were both changed.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Should the ACIS work the same on every gear, so I mean, why doens't it hesitate then on 2nd or 1rst gear? :)
Actually I dunno either, just mindstorm :)

7MA61

7MA61
Aug 27, 2006
Sydney
ValgeKotkas said:
Should the ACIS work the same on every gear, so I mean, why doens't it hesitate then on 2nd or 1st gear? :)
Actually I dunno either, just mindstorm :)
Because in 1st and 2nd gear that rpm range is over very quickly ;)

How modded is the car my car used to have a big flatspot in the midrange because the stock ecu couldn't cope with the mods and the engine rpinged its tits off and the power just plateaud.

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
7MA61 said:
Because in 1st and 2nd gear that rpm range is over very quickly ;)

How modded is the car my car used to have a big flatspot in the midrange because the stock ecu couldn't cope with the mods and the engine rpinged its tits off and the power just plateaud.

only mod i have is a K&N, and im n/a so "ringing its tits off" doesnt exist!