Help with tach?

Feb 24, 2006
Los Angeles
same here, i've checked the signal from the black wire body plug and there's power b/c everytime i'd rev it up and the tester would rise up, i've also check the cluster 4 screw connectors: ign+,-, power and earth.
i just want to know which wire to tap from the motor like the ign - and + so i can hardwire this to the cluster or an aftermarket tach if i have to.
i even called up jose he said his best guess is the body plug wiring, but i really don't think so b/c i've checked that thing so many times. i dont know anymore u guys. i guess just keep me updated

cormschr

Nov 15, 2005
Rochester, NY
slidingsidewayz.....what year is the car your putting the 1j in. and what kind of motorset clip did you get(year).... just wanted to know if we had anything in common....

Feb 24, 2006
Los Angeles
cormschr said:
slidingsidewayz.....what year is the car your putting the 1j in. and what kind of motorset clip did you get(year).... just wanted to know if we had anything in common....
i have a 89 na 5 speed and as for the year of the clip i don't know, but it was the 1st gen 1j tho. i've been driving this thing around for almost a month w/out know what rpm i'm in and it sucks

fred

Feb 24, 2006
Los Angeles
i finally found out whats been going on with this tach issue. and its the wiring of the plug behind the tach cluster. i was comparing the jdm tach cluster w/ the us tach cluster and the ign-and+ are on the oposite sides, (its the purple wire and black wire)but i switched the wiring for it the tach still doesn't work. i might of shorted the tach already. so im thinking of just picking up a turbo cluster from the junkyard.
but what really itches me the most is that so many people here on the boards kept saying that its a direct plug and play so i relied on that.

cormschr

Nov 15, 2005
Rochester, NY
when i was looking at the back of the cluster that came with my clip i noticed that the ign- and ign+ were going to the same place on the tach circuit board, not reversed. anyways, i am going to do more testing this weekend.....i am sure it has something to do with my wiring.

Feb 24, 2006
Los Angeles
cormschr said:
when i was looking at the back of the cluster that came with my clip i noticed that the ign- and ign+ were going to the same place on the tach circuit board, not reversed. anyways, i am going to do more testing this weekend.....i am sure it has something to do with my wiring.

oh i know, i guess was just really stressed. but i don't think its the wiring b/c i tested the ign- from the back of the cluster and there's current, it also responds to the revs i give it so i don't man. the ign+ has juice when tested it. it sounds like we the exact same problem man. oh i might pick up a msd tach converter as my last resort.

kurisu

Uh....
Oct 11, 2005
Lexington, NC
damn, i was hoping someone would find out the problem :(
but yea, mine is an early 89, i was also thinking that might have s omething to do with it.

cormschr

Nov 15, 2005
Rochester, NY
bypassed the first resister on the tach circuit board that changes the signal. my uncle(a mechanic) hooked it up to a scope and figured it out.

cormschr

Nov 15, 2005
Rochester, NY
kurisu, i used the tach out of turbo car. my uncle says it should work for the jz tach as well. i don't know if you had an na before but i can email you pics if you want. pm or post me your email. won't be till this weekend though.

kurisu

Uh....
Oct 11, 2005
Lexington, NC
yea i have an 89 turbo.. but it was an early 89...
iunno if that is the problem. but like the others have said, i tried to hook a tach up but, no movement...
i haven't gotten my hands on a 89+ tach at the moment yet..
but if you could email your pics or whatever..

chrisleetim@gmail.com

kurisu

Uh....
Oct 11, 2005
Lexington, NC
i have a turbo tach...

i bypassed the r4 but still no movement...
i dunno if i bypassed it correctly...
by looking at the pics you sent me, looks like you wired the r4 to the "3" tab where the screws go into.
is that correct?

Last edited: