Help with tach?

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
slidingsidewayz said:
oh yea, i heard about how when people get their timing guns hooked up they usually tap that wire to the gun since we don't have spark plug wires.
good looking out suprastanger. do you think i can run that wire to that black tach wire on the body plug or run it directly to the ign+ behind the gauge cluster. what do you think?

fred

As far as running the wire to get a tach signal, well that wire is for that signal specifically, so i don't see any reason you can't .
Jst tap it and work the tach , it may just work...

I would rather trace that wire ..and look at the corresponding plug/colour wire going to the harness and follow that way, but if the harness is all wrapped up..that would be too much.

Try and run a straight wire..rather than going to the Black wire.

Feb 24, 2006
Los Angeles
suprastanger507mgte said:
As far as running the wire to get a tach signal, well that wire is for that signal specifically, so i don't see any reason you can't .
Jst tap it and work the tach , it may just work...

I would rather trace that wire ..and look at the corresponding plug/colour wire going to the harness and follow that way, but if the harness is all wrapped up..that would be too much.

Try and run a straight wire..rather than going to the Black wire.
alrite, i'll just tap the ignitor directly to the tach (ign+). thanks for your help man. hopefully it works.

inline6

Whistle>Whine
Sep 22, 2005
SoCal
Hey update us on how this works out for ya! Oh and I'd recommend using a multimeter and tracing the wire from the ignitor to the ECU and it will make tapping that wire and getting it to the cluster easier for you.

Feb 24, 2006
Los Angeles
inline6 said:
Hey update us on how this works out for ya! Oh and I'd recommend using a multimeter and tracing the wire from the ignitor to the ECU and it will make tapping that wire and getting it to the cluster easier for you.
what do you mean, like find which of the two rpm pinout from the ecu is the signal coming from the ignitor to tap from there?

fred

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
suprastanger507mgte said:
If you look at the actual igniter, near the plug , there is a small cover.
Open the small cobver, and there is a green wire kinda looped.
THAT is your tach signal.

Correct me if I am wrong guys.

Thanks back up suprastanger507mgte :)

Feb 24, 2006
Los Angeles
update.
i just got back from work. itried tapping that green looped wire on the ignitor and it worked but not how its soppose to. like when its idled the needle would just like bump from 0 to 400. like it just shakes and when i would give it gas it would just level out to 400rpms without bumping like how it would of with the throttle. sorry if its hard to understand. i even tested it out on an aftermarket tach and its the same thing.
so i don't know..

Troyota

I Love What You Do For Me
Jul 28, 2005
Roswell NM
Keep up the good work guys...I think if we keep up the comunication we just might get this thing figured out...

cormschr

Nov 15, 2005
Rochester, NY
won't be able to check till the middle of the week now to see if swapping the turbo cluster works. but will post when i try. if someone else has had to do this and have it work, let us know!!

kurisu

Uh....
Oct 11, 2005
Lexington, NC
mines the same way. mine is a early 89 turbo tach... i wonder if thats the problem. i wanna try a 91+ tach see if that fixes my problem... or do i need the whole cluster?

inline6

Whistle>Whine
Sep 22, 2005
SoCal
Ok well i took the dash apart yet again today. There are 5 contact points on the back of the tach. The 2 on the left are only for the dummy light, 1 of which had no body harness wire to power it. The 3 on the right were all hooked up and theoretically should work correctly. I dont think switching clusters will make a difference because AFAIK the only difference is in the circuit board of the tach. And there is also a difference that was found between USDM turbo tachs and 1j tachs, But apparently the USDM versions are pretty damn close since quite a few people use them. I'm gonna compare my n/a body harness wires to my buddies turbo harness and see if the n/a is different at all. Anyone else find a solution please update us as i'm sure we are all gettin a bit frustrated by this bug and a 5" ricer tack isnt a viable solution in my book.

cormschr

Nov 15, 2005
Rochester, NY
i didn;t think that the cluster was the problem. all the signal are there, so unless the signal coming from the tach is wrong(maybe being interupted in some way). i am at a total loss.