Help with narrow band A/F ratio gauge..

supra153624

Mar 12, 2008
bishopville, south carolina
tomsupra48;1102016 said:
which wire is the lead wire on the oxygen senser?>.. Has anybody ever installed the autometer a/f gauge..if so how did you do it?

hey i did try that same thing on my 7mgte, there are 3 wires and none of them hook up the a/f gauge, i think u have to get an aftermarket wideband eugo and weld it onto the 90* elbow or in the exhaust some where

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
supra153624;1102088 said:
hey i did try that same thing on my 7mgte, there are 3 wires and none of them hook up the a/f gauge, i think u have to get an aftermarket wideband eugo and weld it onto the 90* elbow or in the exhaust some where

Wrong. Although that's a better path for a gauge that provides actual meaningful data, the narrow band gauge does work with the stock o2 sensor.

If you have no clue, please be silent and learn.

RiyadYar;1102102 said:
iirc its the blue wire on the o2 sensor

Correct.

figgie;1102130 said:
The Pretty light show meter!

Indeed, the narrow band gauge is pretty worthless. Narrow band o2 is exactly that, "narrow band" - meaning it's highly accurate measuring sociometric A/F ratios (14.7:1) and damned inaccurate measuring anything else.

Since WOT is the condition where you need at accurately measure 11:1 / 12:1 ratios, the Autometer gauge is little more than a pretty light show.

By the time this gauge tells you anything, it's all over except for the crying.

However RyadYar gave the correct answer, tap into the blue wire. Use high quality crimp connectors, or you'll interfere with the o2 reading to your ECU.

tomsupra48

Jul 15, 2008
south carolina
thank you thats what i needed to know.. now you said by the time this gauge tells me anything its all over except the crying...what do you mean by that?... im not planning on boosting over 11 or 12 and im going to get meth injection .....so i wanted something affordable to monitor my A/F ratio... is this not worth it? ...should i keep saving my pennies to get the AEM wideband?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
tomsupra48;1102186 said:
thank you thats what i needed to know.. now you said by the time this gauge tells me anything its all over except the crying...what do you mean by that?... im not planning on boosting over 11 or 12 and im going to get meth injection .....so i wanted something affordable to monitor my A/F ratio... is this not worth it? ...should i keep saving my pennies to get the AEM wideband?

Yes, it's really not worth it...

They look cool, and on a relatively stock car it can be a fun gauge to have. But in reality, as a tuning tool, it's 100% worthless.

This might help:

http://www.supracentral.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=77&Itemid=42

A wideband gauge and sensor will give you real data that you can use.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
If you wanted to monitor your a/f's this guage wont help.The reason they call it a light show is it constantly lights the l.e.d's rolling from the left to the right and doesnt give you any infomation that you can base a tune on, or for that matter monitor your a/f's.
The AEM wideband group buy has been posted a few times so id suggest getting somthing along those lines if you'd like to actually see what your a/f's are, the prices are very affordable now so there's no excuse to not have one and cause critical engine failure due to ignorance.
Cheers

tomsupra48

Jul 15, 2008
south carolina
yea well im glad that i havent hooked up the narrow band i bought... i will return it to the store and buy a wideband... thanks guys i start talking to differnt people about this and everybody has said the narrow isnt worth it...