Help white smoke

danameisgee

Feb 3, 2007
new york city
I CHANGE THE HEAD GASKET ABOUT 4 WEEKS AGO (THE METAL HEAD GASKET WAS USED BEFORE ) I JUST STARTED DRIVING THE CAR AGAIN ,CAR IS MISSING A LITTIE BUT ALOT OF WHITE SMOKE coolant levels are fine not dropping oil is fine ..no check engine light ?...

danameisgee

Feb 3, 2007
new york city
yes i had the head milled and checked if its was warped by a machine shop ...and i clean the block myself with sandpaper. and i used indian head sealer on both sides of the mhg...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You used sandpaper? :icon_eek:

You used a sealer on a new MHG? :3d_frown:

Hate to tell ya, but both are bad ideas.

teamslow

Sep 6, 2006
New Jersey
danameisgee;1159181 said:
yes i had the head milled and checked if its was warped by a machine shop ...and i clean the block myself with sandpaper. and i used indian head sealer on both sides of the mhg...

maybe i'm wrong. but i dont think your suppose to use sandpaper to clean the block and your not suppose to put sealer on the headgasket

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
how about starting with a compression test and or get a block tester from napa..autozone whatever your prefrence is.

Last edited:

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
Sandpaper?! Wow.

Another vote for heading to NAPA or Auto Zone and getting a block tester. White smoke after sandpaper and "indian head sealer" could definitely be an issue.

Ensure a good seal on a MHG requires a bit more precision than sandpaper to clean a block. Good luck!

See: Thinking About Using Spray Sealer on a MHG?...Might Want to Read This for info on spray sealer.
(Also good info in linked articles in that post about surface requirements for MHG on the block end of things.)

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Most of the people here need to just put a felpro head gasket with arp studs and you will be better off, unless you plan on a really high horsepower build or need the lower compression for more boost. You dont have to go through as much work with the normal hg and the surfaces dont have to be as good. Its usualy the studs that fail most cars not the gasket itselfs fault.