help shimming 7m oil pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitt

Feb 14, 2007
surrey
Im shimming my 7m oil pump, but where the washers are ment to go between the spring and the plug, the spring sits inside the plug itself.

My question is, does the shim have to be measured from inside the plug which would mean getting washers small enough to sit inside the plug, or should i measure from the beginning of the thread on the plug.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
WHAT? just put 7mm worth of washers in there, then tighten everything back up. EASY, should take 30 sec. to do it. Yes inside the plug

kitt

Feb 14, 2007
surrey
the spring sits inside the plug approx 3/4mm (not measured) but thinking if i put a washer across the top of the plug to make up the distance.. less washers=less weight!!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
"others" are wrong.....

Anything over 5mm and you risk coil bind in the spring and uncontrolled pressure spikes when the oil is coldNthick ;)

As always I have a reason for doing things I really don't just pull this stuff out of my ass.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
kitt;1204203 said:
the spring sits inside the plug approx 3/4mm (not measured) but thinking if i put a washer across the top of the plug to make up the distance.. less washers=less weight!!

Cause that weight will gain you a full second on the quarter mile!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.