Help Please, Ignition Rod in 86 Bronco :(

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
(yes I know this isnt a supra, but helllllp)

So I went to start my truck this morning, and i turn the key all the way, and it wont crank? wtf? Its turned 180 degrees and still not to the point to crank.

So I jumped it across the solenoid, it started.... and cant get it into gear... I'm assuming that thier is a safety switch that isnt letting me? Yes I hit the brake... normally I dont even have too though.

So I have everything apart right now, put a new ignition switch in it, and a new lock cylinder, but I think it needed neither. Upon further inspection, the rod that goes down to the switch was really loose, and I think it came out of the little track its supposed to be in. And I also pulled the other little piece out, that has gear teeth on it, that goes into where the lock cylinder is that turns.. and cant get it to mesh back in.. i'm so frusterated lol.

I really dont know what my question is, except I guess how do I get that dam gear thing to mesh back in with the lock cylinder, and once I do, and the other piece is in its track, should it go back to moving, and then obviously starting, normal?

And also, is their a way to bypass that dam safety switch? The tranny is in great shape, I dont think it all of a sudden shit on me lol. The shifter barely goes into reverse, but I think thats just it being loose or sumthin.

rodntrackuj5.jpg

lockcylgearkf1.jpg

Last edited:

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
what the hell is OT? lol. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a trick to get it back in or something. I know some of you have worked on other vehicles lol

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
aah wow, thats an amazing help, problem is, iv tried and tried and tried to get the 2 gears to mesh, and im going crazy lol. I have everything off, including the section with the lock cylinder.

is everything gonna line up right, and make it push the rod far enough to start, once i get this all in right? as in i get the gears together, and have the one part in that track? I wouldnt even be worried if I could get it into gear, because getting it started isnt the problem :(

edit: are you saying, that while pushing that rod to start it, and jiggling the shifter, i may be able to get it into gear?

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
To mesh the gears you have to pull the ignition swith again. Then, slide the rod with the rack into place and reinsert the ignition swtch.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
wait, i think I have you confused, if you see the second picture, I have that piece off seperately, and i'm trying to get it to mesh with the lock cylinder gear. the rod and the other pieces are seperate.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
So I have the gears line up correctly and everything, but now I cant figure out how to get the lock cylinder portion back onto the column, and have that nipple go into the slot, without pushing it out of the track again.. blah, so confusing.

Do I have to take the gear part w/ the slot back out and line it up, and then try to get it into the lock cylinder portion again? ughhhh

columntiltexplodedyt6.jpg

if you see the middle part, you know what i mean.

Last edited:

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
UPDATE

So I got everything connected, the gears together, and the key in, and it all put back together, AND STILL NOTHING.

I pulled it apart just enough to look at it, and the dam thing keeps flexing. The structure isnt rigid. I dont get this? Surely some of you have been through this before? I turn the key, and the pivot points do just that... they pivot, so it wont move the rod down enough to start the bronco.

Not to meantion that when I start it now, it wont idle, UGHHHHHHHHHHH

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
Dude I want to sell it so bad, but its my DD till I get my supra right.

John: I called the shop, and they said their is like a retainer piece..? that should hold the assembly, but I dont even care, if I can bypass the safety switch to get it out of gear, i'll be happy. That, and figure out why it wont idle now... :'(