Help... Oil in spark plug chamber

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
(1989 N/A 5-SPEED)

i went to change my spark plugs/wires today, took the throttle body off, then went to take off the wires on sparkplug #4 i believe and there was at least an inch of oil in the chamber.... i cleaned it out but have yet to replace them, not sure if i should...or what to do, any advice??

Last edited:

edgeil87

Feb 4, 2007
central illinois
all of mine were exactly the same...luckily the hg needs replaced now so im just replacing all the gaskets...ebay has a gasket set for like 50 bucks which has the valve cover gaskets in it

supraman16

SUPRASAVER
Jul 23, 2006
Atlanta
Replace the valve cover gaskets. It also be smart to replace the head cover
plate between the two valve covers if the rubber on the edges are hard it will
still leak with new valve cover gaskets. Dont over tighten the gaskets.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
alrighty, i got the gaskets and i WAS in the process of changing them out...then a huge storm hit and i got rained out, alot of my tools and stuff got rained on and i REALLY hope my spark plugs and wires didnt get pwned :[

will update whenever the rain dies down

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Tools are half the cost of the build chori. Shame on you for letting the and the wires get pissed on by god. LOL. Your things will be fine just dry and lubricate your tools and maybe you take some q tips to the plug wires, just give them ample time to dry, and you should br fine dude.

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
Having it rain is okay, just let it all dry up. At least you're doing the right thing when you first buy a car, which is maintenance. Are you planning to drift your car?

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
i totally removed the plastic (once rubber?) coating and edges on the metal dust cover strip for between the head covers... it was cracked to uselessness and ugly so i cracked all of it off and just set the metal sheet in. looks much cleaner now, and still helps keep out some debris. you dont need it at all... but i didnt want a totally open valley...

i found about a drop of oil in my #6 with my new seals, and i believe it may have found its way down from the breather hose on the TB...

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
i changed out the gasket on the left valve cover, but when i got to the right one, the huge thick hose that connects to it (near the oil cap) was cracked and felt like if i moved the thing it would break, so i just didn't wanna risk it.. put the car all together fired it up, and it idled, but whenever i went to rev the car would die...

i forgot to plug in the AFM. lol pwned me

but when i got that in the car ran good, except it was smoking and smelled bad, could that be a result of oil in the combustion chamber? i think some found it's way in there when i took the spark plugs out.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
yea that hose has definitely seen better days, i put some electrical tape around it and put the clamp over it to be sure it doesn't leak anything, guess i'm on a hunt for another hose now

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Try an ace hardware store dude, no lie.

Or atleast ours here has a vast selection of rubber tubing and hoses.
If not look at lowes they have all kinds of the same shmaz.