help!! motor will not idle

twitch

Mar 19, 2008
lakewood ohio
Figit090;1168718 said:
it shouldn't keep it from idling. The ECU isn't that stupid...it will run rich though and other problems along with a reset ECU could cause this...

The plug is somewhere underneath the AFM. it's the big sensor lump just behind your air filter box. air flows through it, moves a flap, and a sensor attached to that flap tells the ECU how much air is being sucked into the engine. If that's not plugged in your car will barely run, if at all.

It is a rectangular plug about as wide and as thick as your index finger. very unique plug on the car as far as i know so you can't miss it. here it is on the picture you referenced;
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Sorry about this but I believe I stated earlier that the AFM plug was hard to see. Obviously, it's not. I was thinking of something else.

You can check the thing I was thinking of too though. It's some sort of hose connected to the intake pipe; the accordion-looking one connected to the air flow meter just above the red circle I drew in that photo.
Feel underneath the accordion tube and in the middle somewhere there should be a medium sized hose connected to it. I think that's something to do with the vacuum setup.

I hope this makes sense, i'm tired.

BTW, there are vac-line diagrams and electrical diagrams. I dont have the links on me right now but maybe if you need them someone can help. I dont have time to find them right now.

I do have a link to part of Cygnus' site that has a set of vac line diagrams;
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/vacuum_hose.aspx

ok bedtime that's all I have for now.

i looked for that hose a while back and discovered my car does not have it , it feels like theres a place were it should go on my intake but there isnt a hose and i have no idea where the hose would connect to from the intake if i were to try and replace it =/

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Figit090;1168718 said:
it shouldn't keep it from idling. The ECU isn't that stupid...it will run rich though and other problems along with a reset ECU could cause this...

Apparently mine is then. Every time i unhook the battery the car doesn't idle for quite a long time, it "idles" so low that it kills itself out if i don't keep my foot on the gas.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
twitch;1168776 said:
i looked for that hose a while back and discovered my car does not have it , it feels like theres a place were it should go on my intake but there isnt a hose and i have no idea where the hose would connect to from the intake if i were to try and replace it =/
If you don't have the hose on there that goes to the intake pipe, it goes to the power steering actuator on top of the PS pump, then you have a big vac leak. You have to either hook up the hose or plug the hole in the pipe for now.

NARSupra

Oct 19, 2008
Chico, CA
In my build thread you can see I've been tackling the idle issue for weeks. Seems like vacuum was the source of my problems

twitch

Mar 19, 2008
lakewood ohio
NARSupra;1169048 said:
In my build thread you can see I've been tackling the idle issue for weeks. Seems like vacuum was the source of my problems

holy shit the car in the middle in your post picture looks just like mine! black front lip and all haha

twitch

Mar 19, 2008
lakewood ohio
AJ'S 88NA;1168979 said:
If you don't have the hose on there that goes to the intake pipe, it goes to the power steering actuator on top of the PS pump, then you have a big vac leak. You have to either hook up the hose or plug the hole in the pipe for now.

do you have a picture so i can see were the hose is meant to go?

thanks