help!! motor will not idle

twitch

Mar 19, 2008
lakewood ohio
me and a few friends replaced the headgasket a couple weeks ago and when we went to fire it up the would fire but stall right away it would keep running if i gave it gas i cant figure out what it is help!!!!

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
check the order of your sparkplug wires on the distributor. I stuck mine on out-of-order accidentally right after my BHG fix and it ran like shit/stalled...but WOULD run with throttle.
:nono: :nono:
Could also be a sensor (AFM) that you forgot to plug in.

jo7mge

ENIGMA
Jul 19, 2007
Anaheim
check for any holes in your intake pipeing you could be getting alot of unmeasured air into your system that your afm isnt reading happend to me could be the same in your situation

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
have you checked all the ground wires that should be bolted on the engine, also the harness on the intake manifold side, are all those plugged in? all the relays in the engine bay, intake leaks, vacuum leaks, is ur AFM plugged in? make sure, i had the same problem when i first cranked up my engine, iono but the ISCV (idle speed control valve)? those are the things i know of to check on

twitch

Mar 19, 2008
lakewood ohio
thank for all your suggestions but now something my wiring went bad so it wotn even start now, im just gonna save up and but a new motor in it i was thinking 2jz any suggestion?

thanks

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
uhhh.... you fixed an engine and just because of some wiring you're going to dump it and swap in a new engine?

that's even more wiring.... :sarcasm:

Not to say I wouldn't support a 2jz swap or any other turbo swap. there's lots of info on here, I'd use the search feature and see what other people do, and what's involved. There's plenty of resources on already in existence that can really help, so start there. The reference/tech tips section, where I believe there are writeups about 1jz, 1.5jz, 2jz, and 7mgte swaps and what different swaps might entail as far as parts and cost.

OR you could call Driftmotion if you're loaded, drop off your car, and pick it up a couple weeks later with a new spik-n'-span engine under the hood... ;)

twitch

Mar 19, 2008
lakewood ohio
Figit090;1162914 said:
uhhh.... you fixed an engine and just because of some wiring you're going to dump it and swap in a new engine?

that's even more wiring.... :sarcasm:

Not to say I wouldn't support a 2jz swap or any other turbo swap. there's lots of info on here, I'd use the search feature and see what other people do, and what's involved. There's plenty of resources on already in existence that can really help, so start there. The reference/tech tips section, where I believe there are writeups about 1jz, 1.5jz, 2jz, and 7mgte swaps and what different swaps might entail as far as parts and cost.

OR you could call Driftmotion if you're loaded, drop off your car, and pick it up a couple weeks later with a new spik-n'-span engine under the hood... ;)

hah i wish i was loaded well theres more problems with the current motor for example it leaks oil from many places the pervious owners stripped out 2 of the cam supports theres random wires comming off the engine block that i found after i bought it, it looks liek the omish did all the wiring (lol) , now the wiring problem i found a vaccume sensor that had the wires out of it and when i went to put them back in is when everthing went to hell so cranks but no start :(

twitch

Mar 19, 2008
lakewood ohio
oh and one more thing guys i was looking through the galleries and saw this picture

p1163329_1.jpg

note the circle i have no idea what that is and my car dosnt have it the vacuum line is still there i just plugged it, help?

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
that looks like cruise control to me but im not sure...you should be fine plugging it though i dont know if thats the reason its stalling.

twitch

Mar 19, 2008
lakewood ohio
zachm611;1163331 said:
that looks like cruise control to me but im not sure...you should be fine plugging it though i dont know if thats the reason its stalling.

i know thats not the reason i was just confused about what it was ,that would make sense cuz my cruise dosnt work that hose has strong vaccume coming from it

thanks

twitch

Mar 19, 2008
lakewood ohio
im not sure anyone is paying attention to this thread anymore ,no love :(

well the wiring problem turned out to be a flow efi fuse s0osimple =D but it still wont idle , my idea is that when i put the intake back onto the engin block the gasket got folded and so theres no gasket on some of it... just an idea.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
twitch;1166440 said:
im not sure anyone is paying attention to this thread anymore ,no love :(

well the wiring problem turned out to be a flow efi fuse s0osimple =D but it still wont idle , my idea is that when i put the intake back onto the engin block the gasket got folded and so theres no gasket on some of it... just an idea.
Looks like you found your problem. If you have some gaskets missing then you have some unmetered air getting in. Fix the gaskets. :)

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
that is the cruise control actuator. if you notice it's throttle cable goes right up to the throttle arm thingy. basically it takes over and tugs the throttle in place of your gas pedal's throttle cable.

also, i agree any funny seal you create will prevent the ECU from knowing the true amount of air going in the engine and it will never be able to get the air/fuel ratio right.

if you made sure your fuses are good, and that your Air Flow Meter (AFM) is plugged in (i've forgotten this!! its outta sight, check it!) then you might have to look into seals if you believe you bent one over on top of itself when you were installing it.

which seal though? many of those seals/gaskets are pretty stiff and it would be rather difficult to mess one up unless you weren't being careful.

twitch

Mar 19, 2008
lakewood ohio
Figit090;1167819 said:
that is the cruise control actuator. if you notice it's throttle cable goes right up to the throttle arm thingy. basically it takes over and tugs the throttle in place of your gas pedal's throttle cable.

also, i agree any funny seal you create will prevent the ECU from knowing the true amount of air going in the engine and it will never be able to get the air/fuel ratio right.

if you made sure your fuses are good, and that your Air Flow Meter (AFM) is plugged in (i've forgotten this!! its outta sight, check it!) then you might have to look into seals if you believe you bent one over on top of itself when you were installing it.

which seal though? many of those seals/gaskets are pretty stiff and it would be rather difficult to mess one up unless you weren't being careful.

where is this plug located? a picture or diragram would be awsome, just got my gaskets today should be throwing it all together tommrow :icon_bigg

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Every time i unhook my battery the car doesn't idle until i drive it for a while, it takes quite a long time until it wants to idle right, until it does i always have to have my foot on the gas. Just something to consider, the ecu has to re-learn every time you remove power from it.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
it shouldn't keep it from idling. The ECU isn't that stupid...it will run rich though and other problems along with a reset ECU could cause this...

The plug is somewhere underneath the AFM. it's the big sensor lump just behind your air filter box. air flows through it, moves a flap, and a sensor attached to that flap tells the ECU how much air is being sucked into the engine. If that's not plugged in your car will barely run, if at all.

It is a rectangular plug about as wide and as thick as your index finger. very unique plug on the car as far as i know so you can't miss it. here it is on the picture you referenced;
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Sorry about this but I believe I stated earlier that the AFM plug was hard to see. Obviously, it's not. I was thinking of something else.

You can check the thing I was thinking of too though. It's some sort of hose connected to the intake pipe; the accordion-looking one connected to the air flow meter just above the red circle I drew in that photo.
Feel underneath the accordion tube and in the middle somewhere there should be a medium sized hose connected to it. I think that's something to do with the vacuum setup.

I hope this makes sense, i'm tired.

BTW, there are vac-line diagrams and electrical diagrams. I dont have the links on me right now but maybe if you need them someone can help. I dont have time to find them right now.

I do have a link to part of Cygnus' site that has a set of vac line diagrams;
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/vacuum_hose.aspx

ok bedtime that's all I have for now.