help me solve this driveshaft argument

tweak666

May 11, 2006
boca raton, FL
i'm deep into a auto to manual swap, and have hit a wall. from what i've read on the forums, the swap requires a 5 speed driveshaft. my father and uncle say i can use the auto shaft. i thought i had read something about them being different. has anyone heard of a swap where the driveshaft wasn't changed?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
for a long time, i wanted a 1pc driveshaft. now i don't. too much risk involved, methinks. i'll stick with my heavy 2 piece and aluminum flywheel.

-shaeff

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
i thought the autp shaft was a little on the long side iirc, but auto and turbo 5spd are the same spline on the yoke. but you want full mesh and dont want to bottom out the yoke on the final drive of the tranny

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Essentially the worry is, if you drive an insane speeds for very long periods of time the DS will start to whip and eventually break.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
by using a 1 piece drive shaft your reducing alot of rotational mass,but there are arguments as to which is best. i would think that heavy duty one would be best for racing as it would be more robust for the major hp being thrown at it. i'm sure someone will post a more enlightend reply.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
paging IJ...

there is a reason we came with a 2-piece driveshaft. It would have been far cheaper to go 1-piece for toyota, but the high speeds these cars of capable of, the length of the driveshaft, and the gearing that's used is a recipe for disaster.

Toyota overbuilds their stuff very well (thank god), and this was well calculated.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
Poodles said:
paging IJ...

there is a reason we came with a 2-piece driveshaft. It would have been far cheaper to go 1-piece for toyota, but the high speeds these cars of capable of, the length of the driveshaft, and the gearing that's used is a recipe for disaster.

Toyota overbuilds their stuff very well (thank god), and this was well calculated.

prolly so if any u-joints did snap it wouldn't send the shaft through the floor board or the ass end into the air.

but those are just my thoughts,

ps, i have seen both from a 1peice at the same time, it beat throught the floor board then stuck to the asfualt, cause it broke at the trany. scary shit. at 70+mph

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
the 2-piece would still do that sadly...

but the 2-piece is nicer on the U-joints because the angles don't have to be perfect (like a 1-piece)

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
yeah it would, but i would imagine the 2peice would fold under the car faster and snap off, or atleast wouldn't shove the rear end as high when it sticks to the ground.