Help: JDM 7MGE Swap

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
We ended up swapping the intake manifold as well as the throttle body in order to get my original wiring harness to connect to engine. Because the other intake manifold's connecter didnt mate up to my harness and I'm thinking this would save me some time messing with wires... Any thoughts on this???

Junior

Jul 2, 2006
Ontario, Canada
just use a new good gasket and I can't forsee a problem with it.

supramacist: yea no worries, I didn't mean to come off like a knob in the first one, and re-reading it I kinda did, oops *blush*

that heater line is the biggest concern, frankly the coolant hose routing around these motors sucks, but I didn't have time to re-plumb the thing when I did my swap (had to get to work the next day) so basicly, I just recommend that you do your best to make it the same. I do remember having to cut a tube open on the driver side of the motor tho, heater core return line maybe? I honestly can't remember what it was, it's the opposite of the one that is normally plugged on ours, the jap-spec one is backwards, it's got the line going to where ours has the plug, and it's a capped line on the opposite side. complete with about 4' of line running around the motor for that circuit.

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
kool, yea getting that intake manifold gasket 'fast' wasnt that easy either. The car should be running tonite so thats always exciting...

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
Junior said:
count on spending much of the night troubleshooting, "runs" isn't the same as "runs well"
...agreed, but please enlighten me. what trouble is most likely to occur when doing the intake swap? And what adjustments might I be making to get it to run smooth?

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Intake swap? The intake manifolds are the same on JDM and USDM engines. The TB is the only difference! I think you should refer to the second post on the thread, that has EVERY SINGLE DIFFERENCE between JDM and USDM 7m's. I should know seeing as how I've done the swap and made it smog legal.

Junior

Jul 2, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I foresee (thanks mkiii n00b) that you'll have to piddle about with the ignition timing, and that you'll have atleast 1, if not several vacuum leaks. This will be especially crucial regarding the EGR, if you decide to just disable it (which I did) you'll need to cap a few vacuum lines from the throttle body, remember to do this, elsewise you'll probably loose them in behind the intake and spend all night tracking down the vacuum leak. a spritz bottle of water will help you track down vacuum leaks. You'll need a timing light to do ignition timing, but it'll almost certainly be wrong, if it even fires up at all, it's possible that you've got it lined up on the crank, but not on the cams and that you're 360* of crank revolution out of phase. that's not intended as a knock on ya, it's happened to me lots of times, on lots of motors.

Let us know what symptoms it gives you once you get it running tho, and we'll go from there.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
That's all normal shit to look into. I have no doubt that my pain in the backside will not fire when I get it together and even after I get it running....,
I will probably still spend the summer tinkering on it. Are there different types of timing lights??? It seems there are. If there are wich one doe we need for the supra??? Thanks.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
1988SupraDreams said:
Intake swap? The intake manifolds are the same on JDM and USDM engines. The TB is the only difference! I think you should refer to the second post on the thread, that has EVERY SINGLE DIFFERENCE between JDM and USDM 7m's. I should know seeing as how I've done the swap and made it smog legal.

Not on the N/A. At least not for all the years. They may have unified at some point, but there have been posts showing that the "Y" pipe doesn't have the EGR routing that the USDM "Y" pipe has. I'm not sure about the upper intake, but given that the USDM needs a specific port for the EGR passage that exists on the USDM "Y" pipe I'd have to assume that it's either blocked off by the non-EGR "Y" pipe or that it doesn't have the EGR passages either.

Junior

Jul 2, 2006
Ontario, Canada
supramacist said:
That's all normal shit to look into. I have no doubt that my pain in the backside will not fire when I get it together and even after I get it running....,
I will probably still spend the summer tinkering on it. Are there different types of timing lights??? It seems there are. If there are wich one doe we need for the supra??? Thanks.

there are different types yes, analogue vs digital, frankly if you know what you're doing, you can get along with a cheap analogue one, the supra has timing marks on the balancer and on the timing cover, you can just use those. You don't need to manually compensate which the digital ones will let you do, digital ones also have a tachometer, for measuring vacuum advance, which you don't really need to do.

It's pretty much just a matter of features, and if you wanna get heavy into playing with the timing maps, you will need a digital one, or for engines that don't have timing marks, but for what you're doing, a cheap analogue one will work.

*looks twice for spelling errors*

lifted

Jun 13, 2006
memphis
ubara86 said:
Its all quite simple, look at your old motor now look at the new one, make the new one look exactly like your old one.

this is what i did, i pulled the old engine out, and then transfered all the stuff from the old engine that the new one didnt have. like the egr stuff, engine mounts, and the oil pan and oil pump.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
CRE said:
Not on the N/A. At least not for all the years. They may have unified at some point, but there have been posts showing that the "Y" pipe doesn't have the EGR routing that the USDM "Y" pipe has. I'm not sure about the upper intake, but given that the USDM needs a specific port for the EGR passage that exists on the USDM "Y" pipe I'd have to assume that it's either blocked off by the non-EGR "Y" pipe or that it doesn't have the EGR passages either.

I thought the EGR Routing was on the TB? That's how it was on my USDM GE. And thats how it was on my USDM GTE and JDM GTE. Why would Japan be so retarded to do it differently just for their NA Motors. The TB should have no vaccuum ports on it. That's all IIRC. But I'm probably wrong seeing as how I've never seen a JDM GE.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
1988SupraDreams said:
I thought the EGR Routing was on the TB? That's how it was on my USDM GE. And thats how it was on my USDM GTE and JDM GTE. Why would Japan be so retarded to do it differently just for their NA Motors. The TB should have no vaccuum ports on it. That's all IIRC. But I'm probably wrong seeing as how I've never seen a JDM GE.

On ALL the USDM intakes the EGR enters the intake system via the "Y" pipe. The majority of vacuum lines source at the throttle body (off the top of my head I recall there being 4). You may be thinking of the ISC feed which comes from the throttle body, but that's the same on JDM N/As too.

It's all good, I didn't know that the EGR routed all the way up through the "Y" pipe until a few months ago myself. I like the JDM "Y" pipe... it looks sooooo much cleaner with out the access panel for the EGR piping on top.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Yeah, it's the one that connects to the surge tank on the upper intake plenum. It's commonly referred to as the "Y" pipe bacause it branches off before entering the upper intake mani.

On USDM models it's got a plate on top with four bolts holding it down, that's an access to the EGR's piping in that particular pipe. The JDM N/A's "Y" pipe doesn't have that plate as there's no routing through it for anything other than incoming air.

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
So far so good; although not coming together as fast as planned because we've had to stop the show several times to wait for parts. But it is coming together.
-put in new timing belt, clutch, and turned my 5speed flywheel, torqued the headbolts too. my original motor mounts seem to bolt up to this block fine so I think I'm good there.
The motor is indeed out of a Cressida and it was false advertised on ebay by a fairly reputable engine supplier. It was also supposed to come with all the external pieces like power steering pump, alternator, a/c compressor, etc. I really wanted the A/C since mine is currently broke... But After taking the motor apart, it looks like new on the inside with only a light oil stain. Definately a low mileage motor, amen to that... I would like to take action but I'm sure it would prove to be more of a headache than effective.
Sorry for the delay on pics, have'nt taken my camera out there yet; will do tonite.
-also got a fuel pressure regulator, header, muffler, and hotter plug wires to hook up...

Last edited:

RallySoob

Rally Man Sam
Nov 2, 2006
Oregon
I also thought my rear carrier bearing was blown since my rear end would knock a bit during slower turns, but it is'nt so I'm afraid my problem is in the LSD... Solution?: I'm gona have get an aftermarket LSD with alot of bite.