help... clutch issues

supra626

Nov 11, 2005
Rochester
hi, i got a 88 N/A thats a 5 speed. i pulled the motor last year and put a resurfaced flywheel and a new clutch in it. this setup has about 3000 miles on it. now when i press in the clutch pedal, its like the clutch isnt disengaging. i can kinda get it to go into 2nd or 3rd by forcing them but i got no 1st or reverse.
whats going on with my car?

Last edited:

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
supra626;1018128 said:
hi, i got a 88 N/A thats a 5 speed. i pulled the motor last year and put a resurfaced flywheel and a new clutch in it. this setup has about 3000 miles on it. now when i press in the clutch pedal, its like the clutch isnt engaging. i can kinda get it to go into 2nd or 3rd by forcing them but i got no 1st or reverse.
whats going on with my car?

Does the clutch pedel feel good ?
How much free play before you feel pressure from the top of pedel?
Has the car been sitting ?
If you put in first gear and crank car what happens ?
Does it Grind when you try to put in gear ?

supra626

Nov 11, 2005
Rochester
HommerSimpson;1018139 said:
Does the clutch pedel feel good ?
How much free play before you feel pressure from the top of pedel?
Has the car been sitting ?
If you put in first gear and crank car what happens ?
Does it Grind when you try to put in gear ?

there is no free play from the top of the pedal. the pedal has to be pressed in about half way before the clutch even starts to be disengaged. i got my engine and trans in the car in october and drove it until december when i put the car in storage. i got it out of storage the first week of may and ive been driving it since. last night i was on the parkway in Charlotte, outside of Greece coming from my cousins house, i had the clutch pressed in and tried to shift from 3rd to 4th and i had to force it into 4th gear. with the clutch pressed in and in 1st i can start the car and drive, but it grinds going into reverse. it almost feels like the clutch is not disengaging all the way and the clutch is slipping. is there an adjustment screw or bolt that has to be adjusted? it shifted awesome until last night.

supra626

Nov 11, 2005
Rochester
AJ'S 88NA;1018334 said:
Sounds like a PP problem. Have you checked out the slave and master? made sure there is fluid in the master.

i checked all the fluids and everything is topped off. i replaced the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder in november, everything is new.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
supra626;1018920 said:
i checked all the fluids and everything is topped off. i replaced the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder in november, everything is new.
If it was fine and then all of a sudden not working right then if the fluids are ok it maybe the PP.

supra626

Nov 11, 2005
Rochester
AJ'S 88NA;1019322 said:
If it was fine and then all of a sudden not working right then if the fluids are ok it maybe the PP.

this might sound kinda stupid, but what is a pp?
I changed out the rod on the slave cylinder to a longer one, it seems to be working better but not totally fixed.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
supra626;1019622 said:
this might sound kinda stupid, but what is a pp?
I changed out the rod on the slave cylinder to a longer one, it seems to be working better but not totally fixed.
PP = pressure plate :)

supra626

Nov 11, 2005
Rochester
why would the pp all of the sudden just go? its not like im beating on the car, its a daily driver to get better gas mileage than my 8 mpg 5.9L ram. ill have to pull the trans out of the car tonight and see whats going on.
thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
supra626;1020244 said:
why would the pp all of the sudden just go? its not like im beating on the car, its a daily driver to get better gas mileage than my 8 mpg 5.9L ram. ill have to pull the trans out of the car tonight and see whats going on.
thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction
It happens. I get 15.4 on my Ram 5.7 Hemi, and I thought that was bad.

supra626

Nov 11, 2005
Rochester
i took the clutch out. the clutch disk and flywheel were fine but almost all the fingers on the pressure plate were bent. this was a 1600 mile old OE clutch bought from advance auto parts. i brought it back and got my money back. what would be the best street clutch for the money? i was thinking centerforce or clutchmasters, but idk. what do other N/A members recommend?

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
Anything you get that isn't cheap oem is better than advanced or autozone.

I have been looking into clutches as well.

I found a trd clutch for right under 400 at horse power freaks.

I haven't looked heavily as I'm hoping this clutch lasts a while after it's running.

supra626

Nov 11, 2005
Rochester
how about exedy clutches? i was on there website and it says that the OE clutches are made by daikin clutch out of michigan. my dad who is a muscle car guy from the 70's speaks very highly about daikin. they are produced in the us. that alone makes them better than a cheap korean clutch...right? let me know what ya think.

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
supra626;1025865 said:
how about exedy clutches? i was on there website and it says that the OE clutches are made by daikin clutch out of michigan. my dad who is a muscle car guy from the 70's speaks very highly about daikin. they are produced in the us. that alone makes them better than a cheap korean clutch...right? let me know what ya think.

I had one. It was cheap, and for the price i payed i couldnt complain. It did exactly what it was supposed to do :)

*edit and i put about 30K+ miles on it no issues

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
30k. That's it???

Circa 70's usdm isn't exactly what the rice brigade had in mind I am sure.

Neo-traditional is cool and all. If' it's going onto a dodge or chevy.
If you're going to look at that, you may as well think about toyota oem.

But that's just my opinion.

Fuzz420

castrol supra;1026054 said:
30k. That's it???

Circa 70's usdm isn't exactly what the rice brigade had in mind I am sure.

Neo-traditional is cool and all. If' it's going onto a dodge or chevy.
If you're going to look at that, you may as well think about toyota oem.

But that's just my opinion.

yes 30k,but i never said it blew or anything was wrong with it ;)

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
So Fuzz. If you could do it all over again.
You're saying you would go with the same clutch?
I'm not messing with you, please don't take it that way.
I'm asking honestly.

Fuzz420

castrol supra;1026197 said:
So Fuzz. If you could do it all over again.
You're saying you would go with the same clutch?
I'm not messing with you, please don't take it that way.
I'm asking honestly.

In all honesty i would go with something slightly better. In all fairness to the exedy it did do what it was supposed too. At the time unfortunately funds were tight and it was very affordable. If you can afford a little more on a clutch do it, if not the exedy will work just fine :)

supra626

Nov 11, 2005
Rochester
Fuzz420;1026219 said:
In all honesty i would go with something slightly better. In all fairness to the exedy it did do what it was supposed too. :)

fuzz you said exactly what my dad said to me, he said "the exedy is a decent clutch and it will be fine if you dont abuse it, but if you have the money why not get a better one". i was kinda looking for a clutch that could take some abuse, not alot but the occasional powerbrake or 4-5k launch.
so i decided that i rather not go with an OE clutch just cuz of my history with them, i wanted a us made clutch because of the quallity. so i ordered a stage 1 centerforce for $227.00 shipped from streetsideauto.com. was this a good choice? or should i have gone with a clutch masters stage 1 or 2? funds was an issue and i think i got a deal cuz i only paid $50.00 more than a stock exedy.