Heads back on...doesn't seal.

Dire McCain

Mar 10, 2009
Florida
As I have -posted, my cylinder head is a bit on the thin side having been surfaced at least three times.
I checked the valve to piston clearance and there was plenty of room, so I bought a new Toy gasket and put everything back together.

Runs great. Idles nicely. Plenty of power...

However, it's not sealing. White smoke, white crap in the oil cap...

Now, the head had been surfaced. The machine shop said it was flat...I torqued the bolts to 75. Followed the bolt pattern precisely. So I just don't understand what is happening here.

Apparently the head is screwed up somewhere, somehow. The block isn't cracked. So WTF?
I can't believe it isn't selaing. But I have the water everywhere- every damned cylinder- to prove it...

Any theories? Thin block causing compression and combustion to go beyond the ability of the gasket to seal it? Something inside the block screwed up? Termites? What?

Puzzled.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
wrong.jpg

87GWSupra

Rally Supra
Jan 24, 2010
Carlton, Oregon
I would check to see if water jackets aren't corroded out. I had a head that did that, they where about 1mm away from the cumbustion chamber. If not that my guess is your block needs cleaned up or your torqe wrench is off.

---------- Post added at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

Oh almost forgot, make sure the head and block are clean! Wipe it down with alcohol or something to clean any oil or crap on the surface.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
could be the plug on the back of the head or the intake gasket leaking causing coolant to get in the cylinders. do a compression test and pressure test.

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
did you put all your vacuums in the right spot? probably have one mixed with the coolant and its sucking it up, would check that and like what every one said do compression test and pressure test on the cylinders and coolant

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Heavy D;1524415 said:
did you put all your vacuums in the right spot? probably have one mixed with the coolant and its sucking it up, would check that and like what every one said do compression test and pressure test on the cylinders and coolant

Ummm care to explain this further...

87GWSupra

Rally Supra
Jan 24, 2010
Carlton, Oregon
Heavy D;1524415 said:

Haha nice, iv never seen this happen but with coolant lines going to TB I suppose it could. I will try next time I want to steam clean my pistons.
If you leak down have your radiator cap off so you can watch for bubbles. If it bubbles HG is not sealed. If it doesn't other issue.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
When they machined the block, did they remember to bolt on that timing cover thing-a-mabob that needs to be machined with the block? Can't remember what it's called...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Dire McCain;1520782 said:
As I have -posted, my cylinder head is a bit on the thin side having been surfaced at least three times.

And how much material was removed?

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=42

.0039 or more warpage, it is best to get rid of the head. I don't care how flat it is after, and if you are using a MHG. Then again, it could be you and assembly, I don't know. I can't see from here.

Now, the head had been surfaced. The machine shop said it was flat...I torqued the bolts to 75. Followed the bolt pattern precisely. So I just don't understand what is happening here.

Both surfaces have to be flat, enough deck material, and torque sequence. One of them is not.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
The front timing cover would be my guess. If you didn't take it to them and specify that it needed to be done it is likely that they didn't do this necessary step.