headlight/wiper stalks

tropical 87t

Dec 18, 2005
Lake City, FL
I bought a newer (than 87) headlight/wiper combo controls on ebay from someone who said it was compatible from 87-92 mkiii's w/o researching it. The center of my '87 steering wheel has the horn and cruise control on it and the wire harness from it is 3 female. The connection to the later model combo control has 4 male. So, what I'm asking is can I connect to 3 of the 4 prongs and which ones and will it work?

See photo.

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 23

tropical 87t

Dec 18, 2005
Lake City, FL
tropical 87t said:
I bought a newer (than 87) headlight/wiper combo controls on ebay from someone who said it was compatible from 87-92 mkiii's w/o researching it. The center of my '87 steering wheel has the horn and cruise control on it and the wire harness from it is 3 female. The connection to the later model combo control has 4 male. So, what I'm asking is can I connect to 3 of the 4 prongs and which ones and will it work?

See photo.

thanks

Anyone?

Silent Smith

Jerk.
Nov 30, 2005
Mississauga
I sorta did the reverse on mine I have a 89 and put a 87 control stalk on it then ended up using a 87 steering wheel. I then switched back to the 89 stalk as the 87 broke a lever. So I had to pin out the connections on both stalks and transfer the 3 prong cruise hub to the 4 prong stalk. The cruise can work provided you keep the dash on off switch

It sounds confusing and you can pm me if you have any more questions. should respond within a day or two. hope this helped.

Take the stalk out of the car,
Unscrew the horn hub from the stalk assembly,
Open the wiring harness covers ( at the bottom of the stalk and bthe coiled one by the connectors),
Seperate the wires and take the horn hub with 4 wires and look at where they mount in the connector,
The 3 wire horn hub matches the colouring and location minus one wire (yellowish pink iirc that does on/off)
pin out the wires and slide the others in.
Reassemble and your done.

The 89+ have better ends and feel like much higher quality than the earlier style. I intend on getting a 4 prong hub and the right steering wheel as I did this as a temp fix for a safety inspection. I'm not 100% positive that your cruise will work but I see no reason why it would'nt withthe dash switch.

Last edited:

tropical 87t

Dec 18, 2005
Lake City, FL
Silent Smith said:
I sorta did the reverse on mine I have a 89 and put a 87 control stalk on it then ended up using a 87 steering wheel. I then switched back to the 89 stalk as the 87 broke a lever. So I had to pin out the connections on both stalks and transfer the 3 prong cruise hub to the 4 prong stalk. The cruise can work provided you keep the dash on off switch

It sounds confusing and you can pm me if you have any more questions. should respond within a day or two. hope this helped.

So if you put your 89 cruise hub onto an 87 stalk, how did you attach the 89's 4-prong cruise hub to the 87's 3-prong stalk? And what do you mean when you said you pinned out the connections? Do you know which 3 prongs I should connect the 87's cruise hub on the 89's stalk?

Thanks,

Even though I'm dizzy.

Silent Smith

Jerk.
Nov 30, 2005
Mississauga
Short answer the 3 prong hub can go on the 89+ stalk. I pm'd you back .

Sorry I'm trying my best to describe it clearly but I'm better at showing how then telling how:icon_conf

Might just be easier to trade...