Head Leaking Problem

Oct 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone else has had the problem of the 3 plugs in the head between the spark plugs leaking coolant. Here is a link to a write-up on the problem.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/head_coolant_leak.aspx

If you have had this problem and used an approach similar to this to fix it, my question is, did you use the Permex Ultra Grey? Even if you did use it or didnt use it, what would you recommend using as a sealant?

Thanks.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Always used a smear of RTV here with no leaks, we are talking about the Caps that hold the 3rd cover in place between the Cam covers aren't we?

<edit> We're NOT Doh ;)

Never had those out but I'd use some 243 Loctite after cleaning it all spotlessly with Paint Thinner.

Oct 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
Ok, so to continue with this problem.... I cannot get two of the plugs out, one came out, but the other two wont budge... I have been going at it with PB blaster and a breaker bar with a jack handle on the end. After that didn't work and threatened to strip the hex holes in the plugs, I switched to a more powerful breakaway fluid, this Kano Kroil that I found online. I have been using this and an impact to try to break them loose for a week and a half, no luck. Please, does anyone have any ideas so that I don't have to take my head off and drill them out????

jvginpdx

Oct 21, 2009
Portland, Oregon
I had the same problem. The plug was leaking coolant, and the coolant would be under pressure, so just smearing rtv over the plug would not hold. The plug did not want to come out..... so I cleaned and sanded the area. then I degreased with brake cleaner. Some
JB-weld over the too of where the threads would be..... then let it cure for a day. No more leaks. Saved a lot of hassle that way.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Rtv is great. Dont jbweld or it will never come off and may leak. You might be able to find some oil drain plug gaskets that will fit too. If you need to go to a shop and have someone with a good impact wrench get them off. A normal one most people buy for $100 dosent have much torque, but mine was $450 and that was a good discount and i have 1000lb reverse torque, it will get them out or break the head in half trying lol.

Oct 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
Thanks, I'll look into that. And I would hope it wouldn't crack the head, wouldn't be very productive... Also, what does everyone think about a blowtorch to heat up the plugs to help break the seal? Any ideas?