having a 92 2.5 tt gt imported. need advice

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
theciviceater89 said:
funny you guys bring up vins now. i have an 89 turbo sitting in front of my house right now. i was gunna swap the vins with it. they are both red. only real difference between them is rhd and the 1jz engine. i think i could pull it off. lol, and the one being imported is a 92 not an 89 lolz....but..we will see. and someone mentioned a price 6k. i am able to spend close to 10k making this bitch legal.

If you're going to spend 10k, why didn't you just swap the Supra had you with a 1JZ in the first place?

TRD

S4L!
Nov 25, 2006
West-Flanders/Antwerp
This topic is very interesting:) The laws in California do like a bit on those in Belgium:naughty: The big difference is though, if you import a car from overseas to Belgium; he has to be complete stock if you ever want to get him registered.:cry:

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Swap the vin # and see what happens. :sarcasm: I have also thought of this. My 87 i wraped a light poll sits in the bone yard but i still have the title for it:icon_razz . smash the windshild, drill out rivits, install in JDM supra:wiggle: Now only two more things you have to do. Some how get the car to your garage by telling every one it is going to be used for ""off-road use only"" like drifting so you can avoide all these legal fees. And after everything is done just, be ready to explain to the police officer (after doing massive cookies) how changed your 87 supra into a right hand drive car into a ""REPLICA"" .:love:
Just my 2 cents

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
theciviceater89 said:
...and someone mentioned a price 6k. i am able to spend close to 10k making this bitch legal.

You might as well import 2 of them and get one crash tested. It won't be legal until it is crash tested and all the data is looked over carefully. And since there was a hardtop and a targa top version they will both need to be crash tested to be able to import both. Then the front end changed on 89+ so you will need a pre 89 and an 89+ to get tested. So that's 4 cars that need to be crashed. A pre 89 hard top, pre 89 targa, 89+ hard top, and a 89+ targa.

It's not a very bright idea to swap VIN #'s as it it will net you 90 days to one year in the county jail and/or a $250-5,000 fine plus all the money you spent to get the car here. It will be impounded and crushed.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
too add to this quite wonderful thread

US Customs is only 2nd in generating revenue for the Federal Goverement. The only thing that makes more Money than US Customs.... The IRS.

btw last I checked.

Import and Duties on Automobiles is 100% the value ASSESED on the car (not the one they put on paper!).

The comes EPA certification and afterwards DOT cert. Without either, forget even trying to get the car into this country as Customs will not even let it go and send it straight to be destroyed.

6k?

If you are lucky 12k minimum when it is all said and done.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Hmm my two cents. My friend Marc spent three years dealing with the Feds trying to get his GTR imported( all the motorex bullsheet) . Finally had to threaten The HEAD of the NTSB in D.C. with a lawsuit . Stating that his car was granfathered in with the other legal skylines or they had to recall all the legal ones. His car was modded to meet standards . third brake light , reinforced doors. Speedo switch to mph , side markers, these things are still on his car but was givin a waiver. Head lights are wrong because they are orientated for right hand drive and shine into on coming traffic . window glass is not safe. If you want a rhd car just move to Canada.. JUSt eaiser

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
TRD said:
Here they would impound your car for doing that:evil2: And they always check VIN numbers once in a year at the obligatory technical inspection:naughty:

Here in Minnesota i have never heard of this happing, No emissions checks, vin checks, just pay for new tabs once a year and there happy

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
First thing you gotta do is get out of California, or your extremely dangerous modified car will be raped by any and every source of police known to man.

GeneStarWindGSW

Been To The Other Side...
Mar 25, 2007
No Man's Land
www.bidmingle.com
Can you really trust this??

"You will need to complete the payment for your car by the bank transfer within 48 hours from the invoice reception and fax us bank transfer confirmation sheet (we should receive the fax confirmation the payment within 48 hours and for the actual payment it takes 2-5 days to reach our account). All payments must be made through the bank transfer to the mentioned on the invoice bank account. Once the payment is confirmed the status of the car changes to "SOLD" and you become a proud owner of that car."

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
Why does it seem like america is run by nazi's???

wtf is up with some of these stupid ass laws?

america is supposed to be land of the free... yet we cant do something as so simple as register a car thats right hand drive?

This really makes me want to move to canada, That and my horrible experience in the us navy.

anyways..... as far as im concerned, you just got ass raped with NO lube.

10g's????? you could have gotten such a nicer 1j OR 2j OR 7m supra.. for 10g's

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
Why not just buy a freakin clip with a 1jz, and swap it and the RHD stuff from it. Your car was legal before, and would already be tagged. Just food for thought. Its what I want to do... Lots less headaches....Course I live in Alabama, so not so much red tape as Cali...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Nomad707 said:
Why does it seem like america is run by nazi's???

wtf is up with some of these stupid ass laws?

america is supposed to be land of the free... yet we cant do something as so simple as register a car thats right hand drive?

This really makes me want to move to canada, That and my horrible experience in the us navy.

anyways..... as far as im concerned, you just got ass raped with NO lube.

10g's????? you could have gotten such a nicer 1j OR 2j OR 7m supra.. for 10g's

it has NOTHING to do with being Right Hand drive. Not sure where you got that stupi.... oh wait, More misinformation on the internet is where.

Customs will not let the car go without the required EPA certs and DOT certs ISSUED to the car. If no certs they hold it and after a certain time with no paper work. The car gets sent to the crusher. PERIOD. Regardless if a freinds of a freinds best freinds, dog walker's cousin in law got a car in (which I doubt), you won't be able to do it.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
The car can only be imported as/for parts. The way it's usually done is the engine/transmission/front suspension are removed and shipped in a different container. I really don't see how this guy will ever be able to receive this car if it is shipped in one piece. And what do they care if it gets rejected, they already have his money.