having a 92 2.5 tt gt imported. need advice

May 23, 2007
oakdale, california
well, after the fee for it being on a boat, and the whole importing and customs or whatever, the price will not exceed 6k. im pretty damn excited. though i must say, being right hand drive will surely take some getting used to.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
its a 2.5 1jz thus it will probibly never be truly street legal. you might be able to pull a fast one and get the emissions tests passed but past that if the check the motor its going to fail. the rhd will be a small problem...

kawkoretsx

flatuator
Jun 26, 2007
hagerstown, MD
Get a job at the post office. Postal employees can register RHD vehicles legally. Don't know what your going to do about emissions, but where there's a will there's a way.....so they say

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
A lot of cities in VA don't have emissions testing... there are a few people here who drive JDM RHD cars.. A 1JZ Soarer, and a R32 Skyline to name a couple..

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The problem is he's in Cali, a place that prohibits the importation of even *new* 49 state cars. As for direct import non federal used cars there's California Health and Safety Code Chapter 6, Section 44200. And that's just the beginning of his troubles. This kid better have a very fat bank account...

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
MKIII and MKIV supras are illegal to import to the states, along with the R32 and R34s. None of them had crash testing done on them. It'll cost at least 6k to get it legal to drive in the states. Especially California.

To name a few things off the top of my head to get changed on the car...

US DOT stamped headlights and tail lights
Speedo changed to MPH
Reinforce the doors if necessary
A third brake light
Seatbelt buzzer
Alarm

I can't remember anymore but I think thats all of them.

There are only 3 registered importers in Calif. that might do this for you. But they probably won't because it's not on the list of nonconforming vehicles for importation.

You can't import it as a show car because they made a U.S. version. Even if you did import it as a show car, you wouldn't be able to drive it more than 2,500 miles a year.

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
i bet alot of tose cars have been driven to hell racing on teh wangan and tokyo highways,e tc. they just put em back to stock so good luck with teh engine unless your doing a complete rebuild.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
It has a 1jz in it. You don't have to rebuild them. Usually the car rusts out from around the engine............:biglaugh:

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Well if all else fails you can always just buy a junked totaled supra with a good title for a few 100 bucks and just swap the vins if you feel like nobodys every gonna check em.

I don't how often they check Vins in cali but they rarely ever do over here unless its a Honda.

May 23, 2007
oakdale, california
funny you guys bring up vins now. i have an 89 turbo sitting in front of my house right now. i was gunna swap the vins with it. they are both red. only real difference between them is rhd and the 1jz engine. i think i could pull it off. lol, and the one being imported is a 92 not an 89 lolz....but..we will see. and someone mentioned a price 6k. i am able to spend close to 10k making this bitch legal.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
supradan22 said:
Well if all else fails you can always just buy a junked totaled supra with a good title for a few 100 bucks and just swap the vins if you feel like nobodys every gonna check em.

I don't how often they check Vins in cali but they rarely ever do over here unless its a Honda.

Maybe I'm wrong...but if a car is totalled...doesn't that mean it has a "salvaged" title?

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
johnathan1 said:
Maybe I'm wrong...but if a car is totalled...doesn't that mean it has a "salvaged" title?
Not if it was wrecked and never reported. You can wreck a car and pay out of pocket to fix it and you'll never get a salvage title.

I paid out of pocket to fix my car when I bought it wrecked, but I made one small mistake and now I have a salvage title. When I first bought it and it sat in front of my house wrecked I applied for a non-highway tag so it could sit on the street without a license plate. When I filled out the form I checked "wrecked" as the reason for the title so when I went and got a REAL title they had to do salvage. If I only would have checked "Discontinuing Insurance" I would've been fine haha. Oh well.