has this ever happened to you? (02 Sensor)

devil358

in ur sink
Apr 6, 2005
Richmond, VA
Hopefully I was successful in getting your attention...lol...

anyways...I've got an annoying problem...it's not crippling my car, but it's starting to get on my nerves....

anyways...on with the story...

I've got an issue with my check engine light coming on....just...out of nowhere and it's always after driving on the highway for a while....

usually towards the end of my journey, the light will suddenly illuminate out of nowhere. and while cruising (while in open loop) no big deal...but I can tell it's screwin with something cuz it has no power when you're really on the throttle, but when in open loop, drives like normal...

I've got a brand-new toyota oxygen sensor in there and all the connections are good....I'm not really sure what the deal is...I can shut down at night, get up in the morning and start the car, the code is not there and I may not see it for another week or even a few weeks....car drives fine....except the times when the light is on...

of course, I've come up with some wild theories...lol

can 02 sensors overheat after a highway cruise? maybe become heatsoaked?
I've got it screwed into a Defcon DP, so the stock cat isn't the culprit....actually, I have no cats :icon_conf

this is really starting to bug me because it happens every now and then..like a once or twice a month...I just wanna figure it out...any help would be most appreciated. :dunno:

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
what is teh code that is stored in the ecu?
check with the Tsrm for the code

get the code and u will find ur answer but i doubt a o2 will over heat.

devil358

in ur sink
Apr 6, 2005
Richmond, VA
sorry... I forgot to mention that everytime I check it, it's the 02 sensor...

I talked to one of our master techs at work (I work at a toyota dealership) and he told me that if an a/f ratio goes beyond a set of parameters for a certain amount of time, the computer will think something's wrong with the 02 sensor and put it into open loop. funny thing is...it does it just as much now that I've got my a/f tuned to about 11.5:1 @ WOT than it did when I was untuned and it was running as rich as 4:1...I dunno....time for a wideband...lol....and AEM :burnout:

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i know this is really old, but have you fixed this??!?! i have they exact....EXACTE same problem cept i have a brand new OEM style[pretty sure non-toyota] and stock DP and CAT

john

LamaRossa

One and Only LamaRossa
Apr 6, 2005
ct
me too what the fuck

i cant figure it out

help please

thanx guys

my light goes on on a cruise normal 60 mph no boosting latenight

fucking supra looking for attention being lonely at night

im going to fuck this bitch in both dual exhuast

fastazzsupra

Mar 23, 2006
South Carolina
I'm looking for a universal screw in type. Do I need a heated or unheated or does it really matter? I'm running a 3 inch exhaust without cats and garrett t4. Which one do I need guys? Thanks.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
I've seen that problem before. Put a cheapy A/F gauge on, or a multimeter and watch the A/F's when you're driving. Try to hook them up as close to the ECU to include as much of the wiring as a possible problem.

LamaRossa

One and Only LamaRossa
Apr 6, 2005
ct
guys i figuerd it out

i got a new sensor autozone 3 wire

install perfect
drove it a day later light came on im like what the fuck

look under the hood the connector for the o2 sensor wire was about to fall off

i cut and just solder the wire direct clear computer been ok for weeks

later

check your o2 sensor wires and connector they are old and is on its way out