Handbrake/E-Brake light stays on?? Help!!

MA70_452

Dec 7, 2006
South Wales
I start my supra this morning, when i let go the handbrake/e-brake, the light stays lit on the dash, its the light which looks like an exclaimation mark with a circle round it, what is the problem??? Please help!!

fandffan

Aug 26, 2006
Bowling Green, OH
Haha. Calm down man. Mine does the samething. The sensor for the light is in the actuall ebrake handle. Check to make sure it didnt come loose or it may be broken. Not THAT big of a deal.

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
If you have low brake fluid, that light will stay on. If you've got enough in there, maybe the float is stuck - or the sensor is screwed up. If that doesn't fix your problem, check out the TSRM online.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
First off: RELAX!!! Lol if your E-Brake is obviously off its just a lil light.

K, if you're sitting in the drivers seat, look down at your E-Brake, kinda from the front, and pull the sides of the cover towards you, keep looking you'll see a lil black button that should get depressed when the E-Brake rests on top of it. If its stuck down you may need a flashlight to see what I'm talking about. If it looks stuck down try to push/jiggle/loosen it a bit, when its down the light is on, when its up the light goes off. If its up, then the switch is just broken, no need to panic, you can just grab a new one.

The Supe, wrong light ;) Unless there's some other trigger I didn't know about. But low fluid should be something else, right, not the E-Brake light?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
ChadMKIII said:
But low fluid should be something else, right, not the E-Brake light?

Short of the ABS light, there is only one Brake light in our cars. It's not just used for notification of the E-Brake, as mentioned above. It'll also trip when your brake fluid level drop below a certain point. The reason for this is two-fold: 1) warns of a potential leak 2) warns of pad wear beyond a certain point

If you want to see it in action try this: Put on a new set of brake pads on the front an back. Bleed the system. Start the car and pump the brakes until the pressure's built back up. Top off or remove brake fluid until it's right at the Full line. Now, put on some old worn out pads. Don't top off the fluid. Pump the brakes until the pressure is back where it should be. Depending on exactly how worn down the pads are the brake light should come on. The fluid level has dropped enough to trip the sensor because of how much is now in the caliper.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I had this suddenly happen to me, only there was no problem with my brakes, the bulb failure module in the boot was to blame. Water can get in there, and if it does, then the module can burn out....

This causes the handbrake light to turn on constantly, the cruise control wont work and is generally an irritation....

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
ChadMKIII said:
The Supe, wrong light ;) Unless there's some other trigger I didn't know about. But low fluid should be something else, right, not the E-Brake light?

completely incorrect. if you dont know, DONT POST!

the "Ebrake" light WILL light up if you are low in brake fluid.

check your brake fluid.

Oct 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
I had this happen to me too. The brake fluid was really low. I just filled up the resevoir and the light went off. If that doesn't fix it just try what the others have said, but I would check the level of the fluids first.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Quick Red Head said:
I had this happen to me too. The brake fluid was really low. I just filled up the resevoir and the light went off. If that doesn't fix it just try what the others have said, but I would check the level of the fluids first.

and if your fluid has gotten low (and there are no leaks) your brake pads need to be replaced.

MA70_452

Dec 7, 2006
South Wales
Thank you so much for the replies, and it really helped me out, the problem i found was low brake fluid, i topped it up, and the light went off, thanks guys. Buy my brake pads need replacement very very shortly!!!

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
my light has been doing this too now. the fluid is fine the pads are fine. i think its the sensor, if i hit a bump the light goes on/off.

the odd thing is though it only happens when i first start to drive. after like 5 minutes of driving it doesnt have the problem.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Lagged - erm, dunno if you have the same gauge cluster as us, but theres only one light on the dash that comes up if the module is busted, and thats the handbrake light, the one that looks like this: (( ! ))

I had the light come on in mine, even cut out the cruise control. Turned out not to be a fault with the brakes at all - was the module all along.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
mine is still bugging me. i can be driving, the light comes on and if i brake the light goes right out.

bumps or braking makes the light go out. seems to come on when i am stopped and stays on until braking or bumps.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Kai said:
Lagged - erm, dunno if you have the same gauge cluster as us, but theres only one light on the dash that comes up if the module is busted, and thats the handbrake light, the one that looks like this: (( ! ))

I had the light come on in mine, even cut out the cruise control. Turned out not to be a fault with the brakes at all - was the module all along.

as far as i know the only thing in the back is the tail light fault sensor. if THAT gets wet it might burn out or malfunction.

that thing messing up wouldnt light the brake light.

maybe you guys only use one light to indicate a fault in the taillights AND for the brake system? i dunno.

thesupe87

ArenaCreative.com
Jun 13, 2005
USA
www.arenacreative.com
lagged said:
as far as i know the only thing in the back is the tail light fault sensor. if THAT gets wet it might burn out or malfunction.

that thing messing up wouldnt light the brake light.

maybe you guys only use one light to indicate a fault in the taillights AND for the brake system? i dunno.

Don't you hate supras? I'm ready to push mine off a cliff.

yoterman

Clemson Autocrosser
Oct 31, 2005
south carolina
Kai said:
I had this suddenly happen to me, only there was no problem with my brakes, the bulb failure module in the boot was to blame. Water can get in there, and if it does, then the module can burn out....

This causes the handbrake light to turn on constantly, the cruise control wont work and is generally an irritation....

about a week ago my brake light came on and my cruise control quit working. can you provide more information about the situation you are describing and how to fix it?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
still no luck with helping me...anyone? lol

also noted. when the light comes on, if i lift and lower the handle the light stays on. i tap the brakes, light goes right out....