Gude Performance head package

alucardunit1

Apr 5, 2011
Lee's Summit
yeah but i have the head apart right now and the cam journals are pretty scared. So either way i am going to have to rebuild the head with new springs get machine work done and new cams would be in the work too. and plus you get 475 back with core charges.

alucardunit1

Apr 5, 2011
Lee's Summit
[/COLOR]
Poodles;1762470 said:
Doubtful to me that they're going to do much. Especially the whole ECU bit...

explain its getting me a new head with out having to spend loads of money one the one that i have that has 117,000 on it already plus the journals are scored as shit from the miles

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
SideWinderGX;1762511 said:
The cam journals always look like shit, I know it sounds stupid but: it will be perfectly fine. And even if you clean them up, in a few thousand miles they will look like that again.

You have got to be kidding. Where did you come up with that BS?

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
IJ.;730075 said:
The OP's head is an extreme case and as I said earlier it's had a filter block and go bypass and circulate garbage through the motor at some point in it's life.

Stock the Cams have a soft babbit material coating that LOOKS horrible when you pull the motor down but it affects nothing.

The Head and Caps shouldn't have any marking/scores.

GrimJack;728517 said:
Chances are this is perfectly normal. Every set I've seen to date looks scored. As long as they turn properly, it's never been a problem.

Can't find the quote saying someone cleaned up the scores and took his engine apart in another few thousand miles and it looked like that again, its somewhere on here.

Mine didn't look too good but its been running since December just fine.

Granted, there is 'fine' and there is 'trashed'. A picture of how bad yours are might help determine that.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
alucardunit1;1762489 said:
[/COLOR]

explain its getting me a new head with out having to spend loads of money one the one that i have that has 117,000 on it already plus the journals are scored as shit from the miles

It's not a new head, it's a rebuilt one. If you want to pay $2325 to get:
- Rebuilt head (mine was $600 and I got ripped off)
- New cams (they look questionable in pics)
- Bored out throttlebody (buy a Turbo-A one if you really want it, but it's not necessary)
- ECU upgrade (yeah right! they only do honda ECU's).

It's your money, but you could spend that money better and make more power.

SideWinderGX;1762511 said:
The cam journals always look like shit, I know it sounds stupid but: it will be perfectly fine. And even if you clean them up, in a few thousand miles they will look like that again.

Yep, entirely common for the journals to look like crap.

mkiiichip;1762535 said:
You have got to be kidding. Where did you come up with that BS?

Not BS.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
How is scored cam journals "perfectly fine"? Common sure, but perfectly fine is BS.

Those quotes by IJ and Grim are talking about the cams, not the journals. You guys are way off track.

Last edited:

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
mkiiichip;1763133 said:
How is scored cam journals "perfectly fine"? Common sure, but perfectly fine is BS.

Those quotes by IJ and Grim are talking about the cams, not the journals. You guys are way off track.

Even if you have it cleaned up, it will look like shit in another few thousand miles. Like I said, normal and perfectly fine.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
SideWinderGX;1763161 said:
Even if you have it cleaned up, it will look like shit in another few thousand miles. Like I said, normal and perfectly fine.

You cant clean scoring. you can however remove material from the head. Then the cams dont fit, and get scored again. You make it sound like they are all like that, or will be like that.

IJ.;1763163 said:
The scored tunnels are usually from either a dirty build or an oil filter in bypass, the crap gets caught by the babbit material and just gouges away at the soft tunnel :(

So whats you advise IJ? You remove the cams and find scoring in the cam journals (tunnels). Now what?

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
mkiiichip;1763173 said:
You cant clean scoring. you can however remove material from the head. Then the cams dont fit, and get scored again. You make it sound like they are all like that, or will be like that.

So whats you advise IJ? You remove the cams and find scoring in the cam journals (tunnels). Now what?

I am making it sound like they are all like that, because they ARE all like that. These days you're not going to find a great pair of cams/journals. But that doesn't matter...because like I said, they will work fine.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
IJ.;1763175 said:
What I did was polish the Cam journals, Surfaced the Cam Caps then line bored/honed the tunnels back to stock clearences.

Exactly, without cutting the caps down, all other efforts are futile.

SideWinderGX;1763399 said:
I am making it sound like they are all like that, because they ARE all like that. These days you're not going to find a great pair of cams/journals. But that doesn't matter...because like I said, they will work fine.

There are many different forms of hackery.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
mkiiichip;1763402 said:
Exactly, without cutting the caps down, all other efforts are futile.

You end up with a bit of a funky shape tunnel doing it this way but all the load is on the caps so it doesn't actually effect anything as the cap profile ends up perfect.