Greddy declared bankruptcy today

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
figgie;1126737 said:
You are aware that the dampner in question for the 7m is the one that Summit, Jegs and any other dealer that resells ATI parts sells? Yes, that dampner. It might have been 1 off when I bought it but now it is a stocked item for most companies that deal with ATI products. Thank the other folks like Duane and IJ that paid for the higher priced unit to sink the prices down to mass produced levels.

yes...

Like i said it was one off and they designed it for YOU hence the very high intial cost. In that case YOU took the hit instead of ATI. if it wernt for you or IJ they dampener would have never been produced..

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Ckanderson;1126750 said:
yes...

Like i said it was one off and they designed it for YOU hence the very high intial cost. In that case YOU took the hit instead of ATI. if it wernt for you or IJ they dampener would have never been produced..

Who fronted the bill is actually irrelevant. Given enough demand ATI would have done it themselves. So they would have had to sell the first one for $900. That is past value. Present value is at $375. A price drop. Even from what Duane paid.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
figgie;1126752 said:
Who fronted the bill is actually irrelevant. Given enough demand ATI would have done it themselves. So they would have had to sell the first one for $900. That is past value. Present value is at $375. A price drop. Even from what Duane paid.

Given the demand, yes...... two people ready to buy one is hardly any demand......

take the energy suspension bushings we had produced. enough people emailed me (which I forwared to them) and plenty of people emailed energy directly that they saw their was a demand. they produced the parts and priced them normaly.

Your talking about a speciaty part, im talking about mass produced parts.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'm with Figgie here, folks. Something is seriously wrong, but I rather doubt the knockoff market has much influence.

Companies spend money in distinct areas. Marketing, manufacturing, warehousing, distribution, R&D, labor, etc, etc.

Most of those areas, under a competent business manager, are scaled to meet demand. For instance, you don't make 10,000 turbo kits, you make 50 to cut back on manufacturing and warehousing costs. If you're always sold out, you make more.

A knockoff part shouldn't affect your bottom line much, if at all. You hire, market, manufacture, and distribute based on demand, not what you *hope* demand will be. If your demand goes down, you scale everything back until you are making money again. You get really picky about the projects you take on - everything goes through a hard return on investment analysis before you start to sink any money into it.

Losing 60 million dollars doesn't happen overnight, even for a company the size of Greddy. And it sure as hell doesn't happen without the executives noticing, not if they are worth their salt.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
The point being missed here, is what in the hell will the NO R&D Knock Off companies do once all of the real companies go under. They will follow quickly behind the last one, or find something else to copy.

There is a reason the knock offs offer their products under the name of someone else's product. It's called creativity. They have none. They cut corners on a name, which should tell you that they are not trustworthy when it comes to production.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
All of this is simple economics and since no one here (that I know of) actually works for Greddy, I dont feel bad they went under. If there is demand for the products lost by them going under, then a new company will emerge or others will cover the demand through expansion. Its the way of the jungle...getting sentimental over performance parts seems a bit looney to me.

If you own genuine Greddy parts you should be happy, now your parts are worth more. If you own knockoffs, you have nothing to worry about, the replicas arent going anywhere.

win win if you ask me.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Whaaat thats f*ckin lame. Too bad the cheap chinese knockoffs made suck a blow in greddy's sales:icon_evil
Hopefully we dont see any more tuner companies go down!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The people that buy knockoff's WOULDN'T pay for genuine Greddy anyway so it's a moot point.....

Our idiot Government screwed the Grey import market to protect our local car industry but failed to realise someone that's going to buy a 13k Silvia ISN'T going to buy a 35K Commodore/Falcon.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I think it's a very different animal that slayed the giant. The mid - priced smaller companies (such as SupraSport, Sound Performance, BIC, etc.) did in Greddy.

If I'm shopping for a new turbo kit for my car - look at my options:
$700 57-Trim CT-26 from DM or 935?
$1500 Boss Turbo from SupraSport?
$1800 SP Turbo?
They're all quality, bolt-on, and support our community when we choose these turbos.
Why would I pay $2,200+ for a Greddy TD06? It's just as good, and costs more!
China ebay $500 turbos didn't tempt me, other, equally high quality turbos did.

To use another example...say I want an intercooler kit.
Greddy: $2,200
HKS: $1,600
vs.
ETS: $1,000
Spearco: $800

Why would I pay so much more money for something of equal quality and less customization? (I'm sure I could call up ETS and tell them what sort of BOV flange I want...watch HKS do that...)

Just my $0.02...

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
Woot! anyone want my greddy type-r bov for $5000? :sarcasm:

eman2289;1127034 said:
IJ: But if there were no knockoffs, those people would have no choice.

That's never going to happen now that the internet is around. Way too easy to get cheap products noticed.

I'm with figgie, IJ, Facime and others on this: they didn't manage things properly and they payed the price. I'm FOR capitalism. Who doesn't want the best products/companies competing versus others to give us even better products and lower prices?

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
:(

Nopi..Greddy..Whos next?
(not that nopi was a manufacturer but they had a lot to do with the industry in the US)

Last edited:

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Greddy is not going away. they are not the first major jap company to do this and bounce back bigger than before. It may just be a ploy to get out of paying bills. Apexi did this very thing years ago and they are still around. I maybe wrong, but Greddy USA is its own company and is not affected by what is happening with Trust in Japan. Two seperate companies. I can think of a bunch of companies that declared bankrupt and came back strong right away.

HKS has lowered prices on several products, blitz and greddy have both raised their prices. Blitz has so much that the cost of a 7m Blitz nur has risen over 100 dollars. This is what will put them under, unrealistic prices.