Great, a Toyota for redneck...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
xride63 said:
blah nas car. i say build up a old rwd corolla (carborated.) and just ripp on their domestic v8's. or drop a 7m in one. they are way light and it'd be plenty of power.

but theres nothing stock about the whole situation.....

oval racing is sucha waste. save it for the street. strip or autocross if thats your bag. i don't know what would compell someone to drive in a circle till they need tires then continue driving in a circle.

dude

newsflash

the 7m along with the 2jz are not light. As a matter of fact they are heavy bloated pigs compared to the v8 now a days.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I grew up watching Nascar races here in so cal when you could pull up close to the track at riverside and camp for the weekend. Nascar died when they banned the winged warriors ( Dodge Daytona, Plymouth Superbird) back in the early seventies. Nascar means National Association For STOCK Car Auto Racing. There ain't anything stock about front wheel drive bodies with rear wheel drive. All the technology created by the best minds has long ceased in this form of go kart racing where everyone has exactly the same car with very minimal differences like decals that say chevy, ford, or mopar LOL I currently love watching Australian Supercar, and European Supercar racing since the winner still is the guy who comes up with the best ideas and applies them to the car and wins. Someday Maybe Nascar will go back to what it once was before chevy and ford started crying foul because the winged warriors were blowing their doors off by 20 mph and finishing all up front.
Geezer

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
i hate to hear all who dis nascar, it's racing it takes skill like drifiting , autox or drag racing.. some say those are gay, i love all auto sports. to each his own, but i have to ask has anyone ever been on a oval track? i have Bristol motor speedway and i was in my supra. i must say awsome degree of banking i doubt i could run a race in a car in a full race

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
My dislike of nascar has nothing to do with the drivers or their skill. It is the tech used. I like autos not drivers;) And that is what influences my like or dislike of a type of race. I like seeing car tech against car tech. If you like seeing driver skill against driver skill (while driving billboards) then thats your choice, doesn't mean everyone else has to like it. I don't see the point in nascar, it is basically Iroc now a days. (which is fine if you like that) But as for me, I'm more into car tech, not drivers. Like you said, to each his own:icon_wink

Edit: Yes I've been to oval tracks many times. I've been to Texas Motor speedway a few times. And when I was in high school I would help my sister out as a vender at a local dirt oval (to me, grass roots oval is way different than nascar, just because they are home built cars and you get to see these guys race there own creations, if you will)

Last edited:

Mr.SelfDestruct

I build planes... yeah...
May 27, 2005
everett, WA
MA717MGTE said:
i hate to hear all who dis nascar, it's racing it takes skill like drifiting , autox or drag racing.. some say those are gay, i love all auto sports. to each his own, but i have to ask has anyone ever been on a oval track? i have Bristol motor speedway and i was in my supra. i must say awsome degree of banking i doubt i could run a race in a car in a full race

the only reason I dont like it is because its SOOO BORING. who in thier right minds would WANT to see a bunch of hicks go in an oval like 500 times. seriously, what would YOU rather watch? two cars sliding, inches away from eachother at 90+ mph, or a bunch of people turning left four times a lap for 4 hours?

theDon

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
supraman2251 said:
the only reason I dont like it is because its SOOO BORING. who in thier right minds would WANT to see a bunch of hicks go in an oval like 500 times. seriously, what would YOU rather watch? two cars sliding, inches away from eachother at 90+ mph, or a bunch of people turning left four times a lap for 4 hours?

Until you get behind the wheel of a stock car you have no idea how hard it is. Every lap is a controled slide/drift. Once you understand and can appreciate what is happening, watching it is not boring at all.

Oh and these guys slide inches away from each other at up to 200mph AND do it oh hundreds of times (every corner) every race!

Mr.SelfDestruct

I build planes... yeah...
May 27, 2005
everett, WA
all I'm sayin is it'd be better if they turned right everyonce in awhile. and I know full well how difficult grip racing is, but, take the JGTC, THEY heve to endure WAY more stress/fatigue for a longer time than nascar drivers. F1, nrra(road racing), D1 drivers even have to endure more(and faster paced) stress while racing, NASCAR really is pretty fundamental and repetitive to me, but to each his own.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
bcg04 said:
Racing is racing, it is what it is. If you like it, shouldn't matter the technology or track or format. True racers will race anyone, anywhere, anytime in anything with no discrimination.

I understand that and I agree from a driver VS. driver stand point, but racing like in F1 is about pushing tech forward and not doing the same thing year in, year out. That is what I like to see, the advancement of motor sports and tech, pushing the envelope. Nascar is doing the same thing over and over again each season. And that to me is not worth watching.

I'm not saying they should stop nascar or change it in any way, I just don't like to watch it. Why does that bother nascar fans so much? If someone said they don't like a type of racing I like, I really wouldn't care.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
jimi87-t said:
I understand that and I agree from a driver VS. driver stand point, but racing like in F1 is about pushing tech forward and not doing the same thing year in, year out. That is what I like to see, the advancement of motor sports and tech, pushing the envelope. Nascar is doing the same thing over and over again each season. And that to me is not worth watching.

I'm not saying they should stop nascar or change it in any way, I just don't like to watch it. Why does that bother nascar fans so much? If someone said they don't like a type of racing I like, I really wouldn't care.

Obviously you haven't been paying attention to the 2008 F1 Rules then. One tire manufacturer, engine rev limiters, everyone running the same ECU, along with a plethora of other changes.

As far as racing goes, nobody has to enjoy EVERY type of racing. Even if you have the highest respect for their skill and the vehicle tech, etc, you can still find it unappealing and boring, both of which I find Nascar. Don't take it so personally, lol.

Also, like was mentioned, Toyota's been involved with Nascar Truck for a while now, this is nothing new. I'm glad to see Toyota getting into more motorsports. F1 and Nascar... cool. :)

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Jeff Lange said:
Obviously you haven't been paying attention to the 2008 F1 Rules then. One tire manufacturer, engine rev limiters, everyone running the same ECU, along with a plethora of other changes.

Thats a bummer :icon_sad: But I'm sure they will still be pushing forward and not become stagnant.

Last edited:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
boring.JPG

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
supraman2251 said:

but you talk about drifting like it's the "baddest motorsport" out there.. well as far as i can tell it's a good "show" i really dont see it as a big turn out of a crowd as nascar (grantit i know were talking established years of MANY). I watch all racing. hell my tv dosnt leave the speed channel hardly. but when you did mention sliding at 90mph thats for a few seconds and the "show" is over in a matter of min, nascar, indy, irl, motorbikes, and more i cant remember the race lasts for hours.. that to me IS driver skill ( o and by the way nascar does run a circit cource at least once a year). just my .02

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Drifting is cool on the street, but as a sport it's judged kinda like ice skating, the expertise is in the minds of the judges. Now I've heard the drifters are getting bored with drifting already and want to start racing each other to see whos the fastest around the track, hmmm sounds familiar kinda like Sports Car RACING maybe. On the track you know who's on first LOL.
Geezer

Supra60-1

May 29, 2005
Alabama
If they would just make it racing again.... It IS like gocart racing, theyre all the same.

Speeds around 220 mph were possible in 1970 with the Superbird. Wings are good. They say that reducing speeds increases safety, but theyre already doing 199mph for the whole race at Talladega.

Another problem with nascar.. They should put higher priced grandstands on the infield with large Screens to show whats going on over on the other side of the track. Its hard to see whats going on right in front of you when youre on the outside of the banking.

I mean what if they put loops in the track, lol, with bridges/tunnels etc.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Dustin

Nov 25, 2005
Cloverdale, BC
Great news for Toyota, I'm sure it will really boost sales like it has for their trucks; which are awesome by the way :)

And a big hahahaha to whoever thinks a modded Supra or (even worse) a COROLLA would 'school' those NASCAR race cars.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Dustin said:
Great news for Toyota, I'm sure it will really boost sales like it has for their trucks; which are awesome by the way :)

And a big hahahaha to whoever thinks a modded Supra or (even worse) a COROLLA would 'school' those NASCAR race cars.

Agreed, a Supra would die in a NASCAR race. The brake pads would die in no time, and they'd have very little chance of keeping up at all, lol.