got an SC400 recently...

JoeyD

Feb 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
managed to find one at a good price so decided to go through with it. the car has nearly 200K miles on it but was informed that the engine had been replaced about 20k miles ago(no receipt for it so was just 'word of mouth'), has some big ol' 3rd party "Injen" intake on it, 3rd party exhaust system(not sure what they are though?), everything under the hood looks like it's in tip tip shape, and the car drives very well.

the downside though is that the interior is trashed(tears all over both leather seats & a few small tears on the rear seats), the interior on the driver's side door has been taken off(just metal & wires all over), the stereo is missing(including the CD changer in the trunk), and there is some sort of problem with the electrical... everything works except the various needles in the dash do not light up, the driver & passenger windows do not roll up or down, and the sunroof does not open either.

anyone here familiar with the electrical in these cars? do you think it will be a big deal/cost alot to fix this problem? that's the only "big" concern i have at the moment.. the door interior & the stereo shouldn't be too big of a deal to fix/replace.

depending on how all this works out though/how much i may need to drive around, i may just end up just seeing if anyone'd want to trade this car for a MARKIII of some sort.

[EDIT]:
OK, Here are the pics i've taken so far:
PIC 01
PIC 02
PIC 03
PIC 04
PIC 05
PIC 06
PIC 07
PIC 08

Weee!

Last edited:

JoeyD

Feb 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
blah! fine.. i will go out and get batteries for the ol' digi cam tomorrow and take pics.

as for the comment on keeping it over a MARK III.. well, i guess you could say that the MARK III was the 1st car that i actually enjoyed having and it's more of a sentimental thing to want a MARK III.

[EDIT] P.S. does anyone know if it's ok to put regular unleaded gasoline into an SC400? i know that the SC300 has the same engine as non-turbo MARK IV and it's ok to do so in that car.. just not sure on the big ol' V8.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
the needles not lighting up is common, the LED's always burn out, same issue on both my bro's SC300 and my mom's GS300.

as for sunroof, sometimes the motor(s!) burn out (And they're NOT cheap)...

windows, sometimes it's the switch sticking just replace it....

the MKIV Supra shares alot of parts with the SC series (remember MKIV came AFTER the Soarer/SC).

the SC400 has the 1uz-fe, which came in the LS/GS400 as well..

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
You may not realize but the sc400 motors are very strong engines. Someone in the past tore one down and built it up to be over 12 or 1300rwhp :) Ill have to ask my brother (he has a 95 i believe) who that guy was who did it. But he did say that motor is capable of a lot of hp.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
You realize that the SC400 and SC300 are IDENTICAL whp lol.. (170)

OK, first off, the needles not working, thats common problem with ALL SC's.
Here is the cheapest fix
http://www.lextech.org/

The windows not working? Again common with any SC with age. Get ready to spit out around $250 for two used regulators, or more. SC300 window systems dont fit SC400's. So you'll have to get SC400 specific parts for that.

The rest of the things, well the fuse could be out for the radio since its missing. The sunroof if that doesnt work, theres plenty of used motors on the net.

If you want a nice car again, you got a really bad deal. I've got mint condition SC's for $2,000. You're looking to spend no less then a grand to get yours in suitable shape again.

As far as front seats go, forget those. Browse supraforums and get a set of MKIV's. They bolt right in and look 10x better. I got mine in mint condition for $250 in black. Tan's can be had for alot cheaper.

You can get factory radio's for around $50.

If you need a hookup on used parts, i got the guy you need. PM me

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Ric said:
You realize that the SC400 and SC300 are IDENTICAL whp lol.. (170)

That is true, but there is a substantial torque difference (especially midrange) and that is what makes it that much better. Torque is what makes a car fun to drive, not horsepower.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
huntin5L said:
You may not realize but the sc400 motors are very strong engines. Someone in the past tore one down and built it up to be over 12 or 1300rwhp :) Ill have to ask my brother (he has a 95 i believe) who that guy was who did it. But he did say that motor is capable of a lot of hp.

I highly doubt that it was a 1UZ or a 3UZ.. Most likely a 2UZ. The 1 and 3UZ engines have a bad tendency to start splitting the blocks in half once you pass about 800 to 900 hp..... I am by no means saying that they are week though, cause if so, I wouldn't be in the process of putting a 1UZ with twin turbo's into my supra......