Got a rebuilt turbo? i wanna hear about it!

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
if im buring too much oil i most likely wont pass smog... so... no smog, no sell.

well... i can get it smogged for $200 but i would much rather not do it that way...

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
How much have you driven the car?

Stock PCV routing?

You may wanna drive it around a little, did you use 30wt oil to install the pistons? The dish is kinda low on these probes and it may take a while to burn off.

Some things to think about.

Never had a CT26 dump oil out the DP and i had a fucked up CT on one of my old supras.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
100-150miles or so? pistons were wiped clean with lint free clothes prior to the head being put on.

the car is 100% stock, stock routing for everything. new vacuum lines all around. new hoses for all of the PCV lines.

im not 100% confident in the machine shop that did my work, i was checking all of my shim's, and... well im just not happy. so for all i know the vavle stem seals could be installed wrong. They installed some new valve guides also... so i can only hope the did that right.

oh, and yeah, i used straight 30wt HD castrol so far since i put oil in the engine.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Yea id be weary about the machine work as well.
I had a head rebuilt at one here i trust and let them do all my machine work. I had a problem with burning oil, so much oil that the machinst swore up and down it was the pistons/rings. I decided to just get him to look over the head again and it ended up being the valve guides. He had installed a few valve guides/seals incorrectly. I had a smoke screen follow me around everywhere and it smoked at every engine speed.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i dont have a 'smoke screen' its just trailing behind me when i drive away, i cant even see it in my mirrors.

and my compression is 160psi across, so... i know its not my rings.

KpSupra

Jan 17, 2008
Trussville, Al.
I had mine done at performance techniques $475. I've only had it 6 months, but it's doing fine. I had a 60 trim w/ no clip done. You may have to tell him you are a Supra forum member.

randandrawson@v

Sep 6, 2008
NC
Reman is fine, if the builder knows what he's doing.
They really are a piece of cake to rebuild though. One moving part and all that.
I have no idea why a reman is so much money.
Most kits ive seen are around 150-175 $.

I've never bought a reman CT26, (I just re-sealed mine) but in my pro days I've installed tons of reman turbo's on customer cars (the VW's had big problems when they started blowing the bugs) without any excessive comebacks. Have had no issues with the rebuilt Garett on my powerstroke.

Some people claim upgrading the compressor lights the fuse on the CT26, because the shaft is thin, or whatever. They assume it must fail with the extra weight and load on the shaft.
I think the failures they see are from out of balance issues. Anyone can hog out the housing, but getting the harmonics right at 150K RPM's a bitch.
Its like any other reman part. Depends on the company. I've got crap calipers from some rebuilders, how the hell can you screw up one o-ring and a piston?
On the other side of that, there are companies marketing remanufactured aircraft turbines.