Golf club question

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
MDCmotorsports said:
Why are drivers so "light" in the head?

Would there be an advantage of having an oversized driver (like the big bertha ect) but having one that is heavy rather than super light?

it is easier to move a lighter object faster, increasing accelleration before impact, meaning a higher velosity after impact.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
materchan said:
sense kinetic energy is 1/2mv^2 it is more effective to swing the club faster then to increase its weight.
thats the formula that i was thinking of. been 2 years since ive been in a physics class.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
so what about a driver that has characteristics of a dead blow hammer?

maybe have a forward sliding ingot in the head that transfers energy to the ball when you swing.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
You gus rule!!!!!! Supras and golfers.................:bowdown:

My game has been slipping for about two months. I was a +1.5, now I'm a 1. I know a guy that's goint to give me a few lessons though, so I'll get back to playing pretty good, I hope.............lol

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
suprahero said:
You gus rule!!!!!! Supras and golfers.................:bowdown:

My game has been slipping for about two months. I was a +1.5, now I'm a 1. I know a guy that's goint to give me a few lessons though, so I'll get back to playing pretty good, I hope.............lol

i dont play golf, i just go to driving ranges, used to work in the golf section at sports authority (watching the movies all day) and understand physics.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I personally don't like big headed drivers. IMO, unless your driver is the weakest area of your game (usually putting) stick with a nice 3 wood off the tee. Not as much distance but better accuracy. Personally I hit a 3 wood about 250-260yds off a tee with a distance focused ball like a Pro V-1(392). Thats plenty of distance for a 20 handicap golfer like me, plus I'm more consistent which allows me to hit better second shots as most of my drives land in the fairway.

Cliff- Big drivers=waste of money unless your a scratch golfer

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I have a Titleist 905r driver, Cleveland titanium 13degree 3wood, Cleveland titanium 17 degree five wood, 3-pw mizuno mp-33 irons, 51,55,60 degree cleveland cg10 wedges with a two ball blade putter, and I use the Callaway hx tour golf balls. That is all................:biglaugh:

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
aye mate said:
I personally don't like big headed drivers. IMO, unless your driver is the weakest area of your game (usually putting) stick with a nice 3 wood off the tee. Not as much distance but better accuracy.

Cliff- Big drivers=waste of money unless your a scratch golfer
Lol, ugh my drives are prolly one of the weakest areas. Don't laugh, I actually found I can hit nearly the same distance and hit more consistently with a 5-iron off the tee (yes you read that right, a 5-iron) than I can w/ my driver. Like, around 200+ usually pretty straight yards consistently. I can pretty much always 2-3 putt. Of course, I usually end up with one or two that I royally screw up and add a few nice lil strokes.....kills my score. And I tend to have issues on the fairway lol.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I have an old (5-7 yrs) Taylor Made driver that has a loose part inside the head and I still can score well. The driver definately doesn't affect your game like a putter or a decent set of irons will.

But of course (Practicing your swing)>> Buying better clubs. Its cheaper too!!!

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
suprarx7nut said:
But of course (Practicing your swing)>> Buying better clubs. Its cheaper too!!!
QFT

Going to the driving range is only good for me as a warm-up. If I want better my game I have to play a round. The driving range isn't nearly as psychological as actually playing 18 holes. And besides, who keeps count of their strokes on the range?

My main struggle is hitting the green. I'm really good at hitting approaches and sand traps! When I'm putting good (under 3 putts) I usually make the pin placement a little harder to try and improve my putting.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
i got a set of titleist 804 forged irons with a titleist 54' wedge and some cheap wilson putter. im getting the new big bertha fusion driver at the end of the month that is for the draw....its gonna be NICE. i hit my dads and it goes like 280 yards and im a little guy who weighs 150lbs, so not too shabby. i definitely recommend it for any golfer.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Titleist Muscleback irons(I love these things) + ping answer putter = good potential

5 hours at the range with a head pro = better golfer (better scores)

Putting is all in repitition, but your swing can be forever changed in a couple lessons. I went from scoring about 95-105 to almost instantly scoring 80-90 after taking lessons and allowing myself to change my swing. I sucked for 5 days, then it all just clicked.