Going to E85 and have questions about fuel lines and pump wiring.

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
Will be ordering another fuel pump, 1200cc injectors and fuel line next week for my E85 transfer. I have some questions first.

I currently have my afpr located between the pump and the fuel rail. In adding the second pump I should run both the existing line and the new -6 line from the pumps straight to the rail. One on each end then in the middle of the rail tap in the return line.

1 - is the afpr now to be plumbed into the return line?
2 - am I using two filters... one on each line using this setup?

Wiring... another thread when I get the plumbing figured out.

I HAVE been doing research and these are the things left unanswered for me. Try not to bash me too hard.

Thanks
Randy

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
I was under the impression that the FPR was supposed to be on the return line regardless. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As for filters, it depends. If you are fine with unfiltered fuel going into the raill from one line, then there is no need for the second filter. But if you aren't a fan of plugged injectors, then you should have a filter for each line, if I'm understanding this correctly.

Also, you should make sure that your AFPR, lines, pump, etc. are all compatible with E-85. I'm not an expert on E-85

-AM3

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
Randy87T;1783312 said:
I currently have my afpr located between the pump and the fuel rail.

ya I hope this is a typo because this would mean no fuel pressure. The car shouldn't run this way at all. Pressure builds up everywhere between the pump and the fpr so the fpr should be in the return line after the fuel rail.

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
You're right that's where it's located... in the return line. Been alot of yrs since I installed it and forgot the reasoning behind it.
A deadhead regulator (no return line) is located between the pump and the rail but it's a poor fuel system.
Has anyone tried a return line off the fpr instead of tapping from the rail? It's done with carburated systems but don't know if it's doable with fuel injection?

I understand that both lines need to be filtered but didn't know if there was another/better way of doing it such as y'ing in and out of one filter.
Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something new from when I was last here. So one on each line it is.
Thanks for the help.

kelson.... I like your sig.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Randy87T;1783559 said:
You're right that's where it's located... in the return line. Been alot of yrs since I installed it and forgot the reasoning behind it.
A deadhead regulator (no return line) is located between the pump and the rail but it's a poor fuel system.
Has anyone tried a return line off the fpr instead of tapping from the rail? It's done with carburated systems but don't know if it's doable with fuel injection?

I understand that both lines need to be filtered but didn't know if there was another/better way of doing it such as y'ing in and out of one filter.
Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something new from when I was last here. So one on each line it is.
Thanks for the help.

kelson.... I like your sig.
I would imagine 2 seperate filters would be the best way to go. I'm no expert, but if you are flowing enough to require two feed lines, I would expect a Y connection down to one filter and then back would restrict fuel flow.
-AM3

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
Thanks for the help everyone. Ordered the 1200cc injectors and another pump yesterday so should receive them next week and then get started with the install. Have a local shop just a mile down the road that sells the lines and fittings so will have everything I need. In the meantime will go ahead and get fuel lines and wiring ran to the tank. Its gonna be cold in my garage...

Randy

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
Quick update: Got the injectors, pumps and -6 fuel line installed. Now have a full tank of e85 and runs great. I am in the process of finding some ngk spark plugs that are a couple steps colder but not having any luck. Will be getting an MS3 installed hopefully by May and then heading for the dyno.

A set of 264's with that new Precision 6266 turbo looks like a good way to finish it off. But that will be a project for next year unless I have a windfall.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
Filters are very important when switching to E85. Check them often in the first few months of running it because the E85 will dissolve a lot of BS that was building in your fuel system from pump gas. That free flowing BS will end up in your filters and clog them up quick.

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
IBoughtASupra;1796876 said:
NGK BKR7E have performed well for high boost applications, mainly our motors.

I was going with 8's but where do you buy them? No one in my area has them.

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
Mr Bojangles;1796880 said:
Filters are very important when switching to E85. Check them often in the first few months of running it because the E85 will dissolve a lot of BS that was building in your fuel system from pump gas. That free flowing BS will end up in your filters and clog them up quick.

From one lurker to another.... thanks.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Really? I just call my local parts store and give them the NGK number and they can get it. If your local store cannot get it, DriftMotion has them.

Randy87T

Oct 1, 2009
Iowa
IBoughtASupra;1797031 said:
Really? I just call my local parts store and give them the NGK number and they can get it. If your local store cannot get it, DriftMotion has them.

We only have autozone, advanced auto and o rileys here. What store do you use? I could go with Driftmotion but was at least trying to stay close to the midwest. Chicago, St.Louis ...