Glass from usdm mirrors into jdm folding?

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
keo;1231620 said:
+1 for jdm power-folding for coolness. (how many US cars do u see that can powerfold their mirrors)

just trun your head over ur shoulder if you have to go in the right lane.

i tried for awhile to find a replacement mirror(just gave up) and got used to looking over my shoulder.

Hmm Looking over your shoulder a novel Idea. I just got some I also have a 300mm broadway mirror I will report back in a day and see if it works with the mirror because with just the broadway I can see from directly behind me all the way to the slow lane from the fast lane on a three lane highway. If not I will take them to a glass shop pay the money and have Safe effective usable power folding mirrors

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
My RHD mirrors are PERFECT, I cannot stand LHD mirrors anymore...

I have the rarest mirrors; Euro RHD folding mirrors (only sold in the UK I believe)..

I bought them from Germany, I was disappointed at 1st but now I've grown to like them more than LHD's..

ae86ma70

Jul 24, 2008
Atlanta
This thread is a couple of months old, but just my $0.02...

The different styles of mirror have differently shaped pieces of glass.
I do not think that simply getting a new piece of glass cut will fix the problem with JDM folding mirrors, as it is the housing that requires adjustment.
I am unsure of how to do this properly without damaging (rounding) the screw located on the bottom of the housing.

I think the difference in all RHD and LHD folding mirrors is the angle that the housing is fixed at. The driver's side mirror (even on current USDM cars) is fixed at a more outward angle than that of the passenger side mirror. Look for yourself and see. My Maxima has manual folding mirrors, and you can definitely tell that the angle of the LH mirror differs from that of the RH mirror.

I have JDM power folding mirrors on the MA70, and am of the belief that if I could adjust the actual RH (passenger) mirror housing inward a degree or two, that the optics of the glass would be fine and I would be able to see out of it with no problem. And, it should also still be adjustable. Short of that, I have considered getting a new piece of glass cut for the passenger side, and using a custom wedge and double sided tape to achieve the angle I need. I think I'll just stick the new glass (and wedge) directly on top of the original mirror glass, unless there's not enough space for it to fold or adjust afterwards.

Anyone else have any other thoughts on this?

Last edited:

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i'm eventually going to get another piece of glass for mine.i'm going to get a replacement mirror that has the "object's in mirror" on it.i just need to find one that's close in size.i'll then trim the glass down to fit the housing.i was also thingking about a way to put a stop to keep the housing from extending so far.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Poodles;903633 said:
depending on how much adjustment they have, you should really have your mirrors out a more than just down the side of your car to eliminate blind spots...

I'd have to see for myself, or explain how to align them if they have some RHD mirrors...

I'll bump this back up so people see it.

Nobody adjusts their mirrors the corrects way. I don't need to see the side of your car in the mirror, you need to see your blind spot!

Stick your head against the window and adjust the driver's side down the side of the car. Put your head in the center of the car (over center console) and then adjust the passneger side down the side of the car.

A car coming up beside you will go from being visible in your rear view, to your side view, to outside your window as they pass you leaving ZERO blind spots.

1992supraman

Dec 1, 2007
Corvallis, OR
Ive got JDM power folding mirrors and i have no problems with driving. I always look over my shoulder anyways tho... Parrell parking is the only thing that would be easier. But its pretty pimp to be able to fold the mirrors in right before a highway pull against someone. :naughty:

martin p

1JZ-GTE powered Supra.
Feb 5, 2006
East coast. UK
1992supraman;1303735 said:
Ive got JDM power folding mirrors and i have no problems with driving. I always look over my shoulder anyways tho... Parrell parking is the only thing that would be easier. But its pretty pimp to be able to fold the mirrors in right before a highway pull against someone. :naughty:

Mine are wired into the cars central locking, so when i loc the car they close and open when i unlock it, just for extra coolness.

But you should get the correct glass fitted or adjust so you can see, i was running usdm 89 on mirrors on my rhd supra as they are lighter, and found I struggled to get the correct adjustment,