Give me your tips on painting

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
I'm a total noob when it comes to painting but my car desperately needs to be painted. I've picked up a new bumper, fender and a few other random items that i am going to switch out with my borken ones.
Anyone have any tips or writeups on preparing the body and painting itself?

My plan is to change colors from homo blue to dark grey or black.
Should i sand all the way down?
What kind of paint should i get?
What body pannels would you take off?

Any tips or hints are welcome.

Thanks!

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
You should buy paint that fits the situation in which you are spraying. Got to the automotive paint supply store and tell the salesman how you are set up to paint. Outside, inside, what temp you will be working in, what kinds of material you are spraying ect so that he can give you the best product that will work for your situation. A paint product made for a professional shop may not work for the amatuer back yard painter.

Surface prep is EVERYTHING!! It you do not prep your surface correctly you will know it the second you spray on your base coat.

take off every panel you can you plan to paint. Move car far away overspray is evil LOL

Dont buy a super cheap spray gun. You can get a decent Porter Cable or Finex gun for under $100 and will work great for an amatuer job.

If your original paint is good and solid you can sand it to create a rough surface for the new coatings to stick too and it will be fine. If your old painted surface is cracking, chipping away, then sand it all the way down because it will cause your new paint to peel away over time because there is bad adhesion.

Tell your salesman how you plan on prepping your surfaces as well so he can sell you the right product.

Lots of patience is the key to a good paint job. Dont get in a hurry and try to get it all done in one day. Good Luck!!

jonny87turbo

Dec 9, 2006
ohio
My opinion is to pay some one to do it. Who knows what there doing.
Heres some stuff to help you if you decide to paint it your self.
you can sand down the paint with some 500 grit sand paper over the whole car you can use a sanding sponge and or sanding block. all you need to do is rough'n up the clear coat.
then spary a sealer over the whole car
you can use a cheap base coat (paint) like omni PPG
and or and good ppg clear coat
also ask for some fine line tape it makes it easier to mask.
you can take off moldings,headlight panels,tail lights, turn signals,rear bumper,
ect. anything that will make it easier to mask off and paint.
Theres alot of work and time in doing it right.

supralexus

Oct 15, 2007
idaho
I recomend you do it yourself you can get all the primer sealer basecoat and clear for about 500 bucks. I work at a automotive paint store and I've explained to people how to paint there car that have never even picked up a spray gun. Its all about nice even coats and waiting the recomended dry times. And if you do screw it up its not that hard to sand back down and fix.
Any other questions just ask

charlesshen

Jun 5, 2007
orlando
AW11inVa;878811 said:
You should buy paint that fits the situation in which you are spraying. Got to the automotive paint supply store and tell the salesman how you are set up to paint. Outside, inside, what temp you will be working in, what kinds of material you are spraying ect so that he can give you the best product that will work for your situation. A paint product made for a professional shop may not work for the amatuer back yard painter.

Surface prep is EVERYTHING!! It you do not prep your surface correctly you will know it the second you spray on your base coat.

take off every panel you can you plan to paint. Move car far away overspray is evil LOL

Dont buy a super cheap spray gun. You can get a decent Porter Cable or Finex gun for under $100 and will work great for an amatuer job.

If your original paint is good and solid you can sand it to create a rough surface for the new coatings to stick too and it will be fine. If your old painted surface is cracking, chipping away, then sand it all the way down because it will cause your new paint to peel away over time because there is bad adhesion.

Tell your salesman how you plan on prepping your surfaces as well so he can sell you the right product.

Lots of patience is the key to a good paint job. Dont get in a hurry and try to get it all done in one day. Good Luck!!
i paint so heres some advice
paint the roof first then the hood then fenders ,pannles,doors and bumpers making shure your bettwen 6-12 inches away from depending on piant and gun make shure you over lap each storke at about a 50% overlap dont over lap for to long it may cause runs in paint be shure to not to let paint harden in bucket if its a piant that uses a hardner make shure temp out side is warm and lowhumiddity .
do u have a garage?

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
Your choice in colors will be one of your biggest nightmares. For a first time painter, I would suggest that you go with a solid color, no metallics, pearls, etc. Also a solid color can be sprayed in single stage paints, no clearing required, so that will make your work easier. Solid colors are so much easier to correct mistakes and touch up later. Black is the worst color as far as showing every imperfection and slightest dents. It takes 3 times the prep work to make a black car look good as it does a white car.

And most of all, if you are changing colors, paint the door jambs, trunk jambs, engine bay, etc. or it just devalues the car.

Best of luck,

Sanders

1 bad mudaphoka
Dec 18, 2006
Pluto
Rajunz;879739 said:
... It takes 3 times the prep work to make a black car look good as it does a white car....
On the other hand, some might say that painting a car black is easier because it covers fast and is very easy to blend (talking about pure black here).
As far as spraying it, there is nothing easier and easier to blend and can't leave a shadow like white can.

For a great bodyman, black is easier than other colors.
If you suck at body work and can't get it right, then black will expose your faults like no other color.