GD WRX Questions

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Phantom said:
Okay, this is for those who are familiar with the GD WRX.

I know that there is the WRX and the WRX STi.

What does the TR stand for?

I heard of some not so good comments regarding the transmission in the '02-'03 WRX models. Can anyone verify this? I also heard of people installing the transmission from the GC Impreza because of the better gears.

And can someone tell me what the rear passenger space is like in the GD WRX? What car it is comparable to in rear passenger room?

I can answer all these questions. TR; Tuner ready, basically a "no frills' WRX, that is kept cheaper by not being loaded up with a bunch of options. Therefor, the buyer of the TR, has more capital to work with in molding the car to how he/she wants it.
As for the transmissions on the 02/03's. They do have a rep for being fragile. They don't do well, with 300+ awhp, and hard launches, i.e; 5500+ rpm. The cheapest route to more strength, is the RA gearset. It's about $1600-$1800.00, another 6-$700.00, to have it installed. The more prefered route (but considerably more $$$) is a full STi drivetrain swap, 6-speed gearbox, diff's and axles along with the driveshaft. I don't know about the GC swap, but I do recall some guys talking about that at a local Subie shop.
Rear seat room is better than our Supra's, but not luxury car standards, by any means!
Hope that helps you.
My son has a mildly modded 02WRX "Bugeye". Still going strong with 101K+ miles on the odometer!

Added: This doesn't sound, or look broken to me! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHTY...ru gst motorsports dsport impreza time attack

We were there!:bigthumb:

Last edited:

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
Thank you for the answers to my questions. It helps a lot!:icon_bigg

I also appreciate the link to the video. Wow does that thing sounds nice.

Adrian98

Banned
Dec 19, 2006
orange county
TR is tuner ready basically they take off 5k worth of shit and you pay like 1 grand less for the car. it's for people who think they are being smart and getting a stripped out car with no radio

Reaper Man

I'm the responsible one
Jun 10, 2007
MA
91T breezen' said:
I can answer all these questions. TR; Tuner ready, basically a "no frills' WRX, that is kept cheaper by not being loaded up with a bunch of options. Therefor, the buyer of the TR, has more capital to work with in molding the car to how he/she wants it.
As for the transmissions on the 02/03's. They do have a rep for being fragile. They don't do well, with 300+ awhp, and hard launches, i.e; 5500+ rpm. The cheapest route to more strength, is the RA gearset. It's about $1600-$1800.00, another 6-$700.00, to have it installed. The more prefered route (but considerably more $$$) is a full STi drivetrain swap, 6-speed gearbox, diff's and axles along with the driveshaft. I don't know about the GC swap, but I do recall some guys talking about that at a local Subie shop.
Rear seat room is better than our Supra's, but not luxury car standards, by any means!
Hope that helps you.
My son has a mildly modded 02WRX "Bugeye". Still going strong with 101K+ miles on the odometer!

Added: This doesn't sound, or look broken to me! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHTY...ru gst motorsports dsport impreza time attack

We were there!:bigthumb:
answered everything I was going to

I used to own a 2002 wrx, really fun car

Equal length headers takes some of the "boxer" out of the exhaust note. Mine had a straight pipe and sounded like a jet engine taking off under full boost