Gauges stopped working, need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Roy

supra parts truck driver
Feb 24, 2006
Dublin,ca
profile.myspace.com
acording to jenny:all of her gauges quit working up besides fuel and mhp.fuel,mph,and her climit controll buttons arent lighting up now either.does anyone know what the heck is going on?maybe she lost a ground or fuse or something?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Check the gauge fuse under the drivers side kick panel....her fuel gauge shouldn't be working as well though :icon_conf

JENNY!

Supracute
Mar 29, 2006
Dublin, CA
www.myspace.com
YEAH OK SO. all of a sudden they (boost,temp,oil,tach) stopped working, they are lighting up and if they wernt i would know how to fix that problem BUT- my windows arnt rolling up/down either? my heater wont even turn on! what the heck. ill check the fuses tomarrow because its PREEEZING outside but, it got me upset.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
JENNY : can you start your car at least? You should check the 100 amp ALT fuse in the Engine compartment. YOu can't pull it off if it is busted. It is one of the fuses that actually is bolted down....10mm bolts from the bottom of the box.
That fuse is linked to accessory power .

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
JENNY! said:
YEAH OK SO. all of a sudden they (boost,temp,oil,tach) stopped working, they are lighting up and if they wernt i would know how to fix that problem BUT- my windows arnt rolling up/down either? my heater wont even turn on! what the heck. ill check the fuses tomarrow because its PREEEZING outside but, it got me upset.

Yep - Gauge fuse. Your fuel gauge isn't working either...it freezes in place w/ no power. Feel lucky you don't have an auto tranny...you would lose the OD as well ;)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yep...few other things too:
- Check Engine light
- ABS Warning light & ABS computer
- Tail Light Warning & Sensor
- Selt Belt Warning
- Back-up Lights
- Rear Window Defogger
- Main Power Relay (closes the relay - seats, windows)
- Integration Relay #1 (closes the relay - door courtesy lights, seat belt, door un-lock)

Plus everything you've already discovered ;)
This fuse provides power to an awful lot of electrical systems...and I might have missed a couple.

It's really not hard to check...like I said, it's in the drivers side kick panel. The hard part is if it blows again...then you have to find the short. Took me a week.

BTW - Tell your buddy T-Roy he might break the rules all the time, but if he wants an answer here (at least from the guys that have a clue)...a little more courtesy is in order. The only reason I answered is that I saw it was you that had a problem. Putting your problem in the title of the thread will go a long way in getting help ;)

Last edited:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
T-Roy said:
oh,i break rules every day.soo i could care less

you're going to have an interesting stay here if you have that mind set... i suggest you re-think your plan of action.

thread title edited.

-shaeff

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Supracentral in Dealing with the Oldschool Guys said:
Use meaningful, specific subject headers

On forums, the subject header is your golden opportunity to attract qualified experts' attention in 50 characters or less. Don't waste it on babble like "Please help me" (let alone "PLEASE HELP ME!!!!"; messages with subjects like that get discarded by reflex). Don't try to impress us with the depth of your anguish; use the space for a super-concise problem description instead.

One good convention for subject headers, used by many tech support organizations, is "object - deviation". The "object" part specifies what thing or group of things is having a problem, and the "deviation" part describes the deviation from expected behavior.

Stupid:
HELP!!!

Smart:
HKS SSQV doesn't blow off

Smarter:
HKS SSQV Blow-Off Valve doesn't blow off after hard pipe install

The process of writing an "object-deviation" description will help you organize your thinking about the problem in more detail. What is affected? Just the BOV or are other problems happening at the same time? Someone who sees a good subject line can immediately understand what it is that you are having a problem with and the problem you are having, at a glance.

Supracentral in Dealing with the Oldschool Guys said:
Follow up with a brief note on the solution

Post after the problem has been solved; let everyone know how it came out and thank everyone again for their help. I can't stress how important this is.

Your followup doesn't have to be long and involved; a simple "Hey! It was a failed fuel pump! Thanks, everyone. - Bill" would be better than nothing. In fact, a short and sweet summary is better than a long dissertation unless the solution has real technical depth. Say what action solved the problem, but you need not replay the whole troubleshooting sequence.

For problems with some depth, it is appropriate to post a summary of the troubleshooting history. Describe your final problem statement. Describe what worked as a solution, and indicate avoidable blind alleys and wastes of time after that. The blind alleys and wastes of time should come after the correct solution and other summary material, rather than turning the follow-up into a detective story. Name the names of people who helped you; you'll make friends that way.

Besides being courteous and informative, this sort of followup will help others searching the forum to know exactly which solution helped you and thus may also help them.

Last, and not least, this sort of followup helps everybody who assisted feel a satisfying sense of closure about the problem. If you are not a techie or mechanic yourself, trust us that this feeling is very important to the gurus and experts you tapped for help. Problem narratives that trail off into unresolved nothingness are frustrating things; we itch to see them resolved. The goodwill that scratching that itch earns you will be very, very helpful to you next time you need to pose a question.

Consider how you might be able to prevent others from having the same problem in the future. Ask yourself if a sticky or additon to the FAQ would help, and if the answer is yes, ask a mod or admin to stick or copy to the FAQ.

We really like to see this, and this sort of good followup behavior is actually more important than conventional politeness. It's how you get a reputation for playing well with others, which can be a very valuable asset.

Take all that, and add this attitude:

T-Roy said:
oh,i break rules every day.soo i could care less

And you are teetering on getting yourself categorized as someone who will never get help from anyone who values the time they invest around here.

I'd STRONGLY suggest you go read this before you post one more word on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.