Gas in oil

z4ck

Feb 23, 2012
Houston
My 1J seems to have oil contamination. The dipstick and oil cap both have a distinct gas smell, and a recent oil change smelled like gas as well. I have checked compression which is all 180 except cylinder 5 which was about 170. I also did a block test which came back negative.

This seems to have started after my ecu capacitors failed, which caused the car to run extremely rich while I drove home. I had them replaced by driftmotion and I have been daily driving the car but the gas contaminated oil is surely not a good sign. I have done two oil changes, 3000 miles apart, and both smelled like gas.

I have also noticed that somewhere around my injectors there seems to be a strange noise, could a faulty injector cause this problem? Possibly a piston ring in cylinder 5? I also bought a rebuild kit for my afpr in case the diaphragm is causing gas to go through the vacuum line. I think a injector may have been damaged when the ecu failed, I was going to get them tested and cleaned soon, but would appreciate opinions. I should also mention i'm not running a charcoal canister, as I don't know if that would effect this.

Last edited:

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
At 170 compression I don't think you have a ring sealing issue. If you did you would probably see oil on your spark plug. Have you pulled the plugs to see what the look like? If they are black and not oily i bet you have an injector or fuel pressure issue.

I just got my 550s back from www.cleaninjectors.com and they gave a nice pre and post clean test, for $118.

z4ck

Feb 23, 2012
Houston
scottiedawg66;1903356 said:
At 170 compression I don't think you have a ring sealing issue. If you did you would probably see oil on your spark plug. Have you pulled the plugs to see what the look like? If they are black and not oily i bet you have an injector or fuel pressure issue.

I just got my 550s back from www.cleaninjectors.com and they gave a nice pre and post clean test, for $118.

Spark plugs seem to be in acceptable shape, actually now that I think about it, when I changed them they were pretty black. I will try taking my USDM 550s to http://www.injectorrx.com/ sometime soon, since they are near where I live. I guess this will mean I have to order new o-rings for the injectors, huh?

z4ck

Feb 23, 2012
Houston
scottiedawg66;1903358 said:
I did not replace mine. According to the test my o rings were also in great shape. What color are your plugs?
I will check tomorrow, I haven't been driving the car much lately. Fuel pressure does seem to drop a little quicker then I would expect after the car is turned off though.

Last edited:

DHeath0013

Sep 13, 2010
Virginia
Check to see if Aaron actually replaced all the caps in the ECU.

I sent mine out to them two times and he fucked it up each time. I had to teach myself to do the repair. And when I asked for a refund he chewed me out and hung up.

The first time....My ecu came back without any work having been done to it. i.e. still dumping fuel into the crank case.

The second time....My ecu came back with an attempted half ass repair and was still f'ed up. Aaron told me to buy a new ecu because it could not be fixed. I opened up the ecu and found that he f'ed it all up. I bought the tools fixed his f ups and did the repair myself. Now has been working for two years...no more dumping fuel.

z4ck

Feb 23, 2012
Houston
DHeath0013;1903468 said:
Check to see if Aaron actually replaced all the caps in the ECU.

I sent mine out to them two times and he fucked it up each time. I had to teach myself to do the repair. And when I asked for a refund he chewed me out and hung up.

The first time....My ecu came back without any work having been done to it. i.e. still dumping fuel into the crank case.

The second time....My ecu came back with an attempted half ass repair and was still f'ed up. Aaron told me to buy a new ecu because it could not be fixed. I opened up the ecu and found that he f'ed it all up. I bought the tools fixed his f ups and did the repair myself. Now has been working for two years...no more dumping fuel.

The ecu was definitely repaired. The car would idle at 10 AFR and was almost undriveable before I sent the ECU off, hopefully it isn't still messed up in some way. When I opened it afterwords I didn't see any leaking capacitors. I'm going to take my injectors to get cleaned sometime this week, hopefully that will fix the issue.

z4ck

Feb 23, 2012
Houston
scottiedawg66;1903545 said:
You have a wideband? If your AFR looks good I'm betting a bad injector. But if your AFR is rich it could be another issue like a sensor.

The AFRs seem all over the place when under WOT, i've seen it spike lean, go rich, stay kinda lean... I will drive it tomorrow and get a look at whats happening. It doesn't seem to stay rich consistently.