Fuel psi regulator install

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Have not found a posting on this so hope there is not one.

I have just acquired and aftermarket fuel psi regulator set up, i am curious as to how i should install it and what i should remove on the stock 7mgte fuel rail. I have no install instructions and dont wanna end up dickin something up as to i am still somewhat new to the 7mgte world.

I am not too clear on the regulation system on this car, the little one in front and the pain in the ass on the rear of the rail. Exactly which one will i be replacin if not both? I can hear and feel the one in the rear tick when running, and unplug the vac from the front and pressure goes up. But the rear has the crimped (hi psi style) lines.

Do i have them backwards as far as how they work? Does the one in front actually reg supply psi and rear reg return psi or vice versa? The new kit has a vac line port so i am assuming it should go n place of the one in the front, i just wanna be positive and get all the correct install info before i go and do more damage than good, being that these engines are not that cheap too rebuild. thanks in advance appreciate it

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
The rear one is the fuel pulsation dampener. People sometimes remove that as well, but you want to replace the front one. That's where the fuel is exiting the rail, headed for the J-tube down on the side of the block, and heads back to the tank. I assume you're replacing/ or have replaced the fuel pump w/ a higher psi unit. If so, you also want to either bypass/ remove the J-tube, or drill out the small end.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
I have not yet replaced the fuel pump it is on the way, just gettin everything in the engine bay finished up first. what does the dampener do exactly? I figured it was the one in the front but wanted to double check as to i hate doing things wrong the first time. Is it necessary to use an fittings or can i get away with using fuel line fittings with barb ends and all that jazz?

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
i kinda figured that, but whats its purpose why would you need to dampen the fuel pressure? And why would people remove it? this is something very new to me so all the info i can get will be appreciated.

What about the fuel psi up vsv? do i still need that or just re route the vacuum line to manifold vac?

Last edited:

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
The reg, some bulk fuel hose clamps mounting bracket and a few barbed fittings soon as i get ready to install it ill know exactly what ill need, none of the barbed fittings are threaded, almost like it was meant to just be spliced in between? will i need the fuel vsv still?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Here's a pic of my setup. It doesn't show the lower lines; but, you can see where the regulator is mounted and where the steel braided line runs. It's right behind the alternator.

Hopefully, someone else will post a pic of the lower setup.

p1437256_1.jpg

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
I was trying to but cant get it to upload i was looking on ebay and found some similar ill post the address of the one that looks most like what i got, hope its not an ebay kit, not sure how well they work but i can always change the reg when i get the funds. here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLISH-FUEL-PRESSURE-REGULATOR-TURBO-SUPRA-ECLIPSE-GST_W0QQitemZ220499992218QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3356d2de9a[/URL]

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
89supra7mgte;1437257 said:
I was trying to but cant get it to upload i was looking on ebay and found some similar ill post the address of the one that looks most like what i got, hope its not an ebay kit, not sure how well they work but i can always change the reg when i get the funds. here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLISH-FUEL-PRESSURE-REGULATOR-TURBO-SUPRA-ECLIPSE-GST_W0QQitemZ220499992218QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3356d2de9a[/URL]

The weak link in those regulators is the diaphram inside and it doesn't come with Stainless Lines or the proper fitting for the fuel rail. Hopefully, your diaphram will hold up. Definitely, upgrade that when you upgrade to a bigger pump.

Did my pic help at all? I'm sure if you search, someone will have pics of the lower section.

Since you're not running an upgraded fuel pump, there's no need to drill out or bypass the J-Tube. Put another way...DON'T drill it out or bypass it. ;)

Remove the stock FPR. Go from the fuel rail > your regulator > J-Tube. If you have all the proper fittings and such that is.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
89supra7mgte;1437193 said:
i kinda figured that, but whats its purpose why would you need to dampen the fuel pressure? And why would people remove it? this is something very new to me so all the info i can get will be appreciated.

The injectors opening and closing can create a "pulse," or little pressure waves. The dampener dampens this pulse.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Yeah soon as i get ready to put it all together i will run the lines probably from the bottom up to see how the will route and be clean. will i still use the vsv though? And how necessary is the dampner? I will most likely keep it, how can i tell if it is working properly? any signs of failure? I did notice the plugs were fouled to hell(fuel). What is the screw on top for? does that adjust how much to dampen? where and how should i set if i need to?

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
89supra7mgte;1437193 said:
And why would people remove it?

Because they fail........
20 year old rubber diaphram, that someone kicks the pressure up with a new FPR,
that if it gives up the ghost, will spray your engine bay down with fuel. :aigo:

I hate seeing crispy fried Supra posts......
Haven't seen one for a few months.
Are you next ?