Front bumper is off, looking for suggestions

Ron Jefferson

Jun 21, 2012
Virginia
I removed my bumper so that I can sand it and prep it for paint properly and have noticed that the factory intercooler has overspray from whomever did the paint job before. My questions are 1) will this hurt anything? and 2) if not could I repaint it to match the color I'm going to be painting the car. Also, is there any maintenance that you knowledgeable folks would do while I have the bumper off? Thanks again sm:)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Bit of overspray really shouldn't hurt anything. I wouldn't recommend coating your intercooler with too much paint, although I am no expert in the subject.

As for maintenance, if you're bored, pull the intercooler off and straighten out those fins, get the bugs out, pull the AC condenser and do the same (assuming your AC doesn't work anymore like many), etc. Never hurts to check bolts either, they occasionally loosen up.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Can paint the ic. I wouldnt go crazy tho. I painted mine black. Stock is painted black.

My opinion but I would paint a ic red or something just cause it will look funny lol. Up to you tho.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Flat black is theoretically best for dissipating heat,but really, it's not going to matter as long as the paint isn't thick enough to provide thermal insulation. Overspray is not going to get that kind of thickness.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
you CANNOT paint the stock intercooler the same color as your car! because that would look silly. Unless you're painting your car black, then go knock yourself out.

but also this is exactly right...
Dan_Gyoba;1862288 said:
Flat black is theoretically best for dissipating heat,but really, it's not going to matter as long as the paint isn't thick enough to provide thermal insulation. Overspray is not going to get that kind of thickness.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Its correct for black body radiation, but an intercooler is primarily cooled by heat conduction between the IC metal and air molecules, so bare metal is best. Since aluminum instantly oxidizes in air, no matter what you do you end up with a coating on the aluminum that is a poor heat conductor, so just keep it thin as possible. Some people suggest getting a thermal dispersant coating, other reports conclude it makes no difference based on their measurements of air temps before and after painting. YMMV

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
What about anodizing? Given all the cracks and fins that would need coated, I don't think it would be very easy to do, but I know very little about anodizing parts.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I painted mine with silver paint. After some intense math to calculate the theoretical physics of it all (I have a theoretical degree in physics) I came to the conclusion that silver paint conducts heat better cause it's got metal in it.

Plus it looks fancy.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
reassembly06.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
destrux;1862582 said:
I painted mine with silver paint. After some intense math to calculate the theoretical physics of it all (I have a theoretical degree in physics) I came to the conclusion that silver paint conducts heat better cause it's got metal in it.

Plus it looks fancy.
I see your theoretical degree in physics, and raise you a theoretical degree in being awesome.

IJ.;1862585 said:
That looks like a Supra, but... it is so clean... weird. The bronze looks nice with the white.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
destrux;1862582 said:
I painted mine with silver paint. After some intense math to calculate the theoretical physics of it all (I have a theoretical degree in physics) I came to the conclusion that silver paint conducts heat better cause it's got metal in it. Plus it looks fancy.
Hmm, I expected you would conclude that it was impossible to know where to paint and paint it at the same time

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
While we're theoretically having this conversation, I strongly recommend cleaning out your intercooler. I found all sorts of nasty surprises in mine, including a boost leak. Or at least I think it was...normally if you put liquid in one end, it should only come out at one end, right?

Also, I recommend keeping either the stock lower grill in, or at least some replacement. I've had this argument somewhere before, but I insist this is a good idea to protect your fins and health of the intercooler.

Ron Jefferson

Jun 21, 2012
Virginia
That is a good idea Orion. This thing set for ages so may very well do that. Also, screw those bottom bolts. 3/4 of them broke coming out. Had me swearing like a midget in a slam dunk contest.